1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vorsprung Durch Snotmobile!

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by me™, Apr 9, 2014.

1. killalldude

killalldude SRT-Avant

#21 killalldude, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited by Diablo: Apr 3, 2018
  2. me™

me™ *turbo whistle*

That's not even close!

I'm really bad at coming here regularly...

Latest news: The Snotmobile failed its MOT last week. I now have £250 worth of suspension parts sitting under my desk at work.
    - Left front suspension arm
    - Right front suspension arm
    - Right track rod end
    - Both rear springs (although only one was a failure item)
    - Both front brake flexi hoses (these were only an advisory though)

The garage wanted about £600 all-in, including labour. I could afford that, but I want to at least try doing it myself. This weekend I'll be at the parents' farm with an angle grinder, some big hammers, and lots and lots of swearing. I'M NOT LETTING IT DIE! NOT QUITE YET!

If I can get another year out of it, I'll have enough saved up to buy a car with a 4-figure price starting with a 2! Wooooo!

I like the look of Subaru Legacys though. Whatever generation was being made in 2005. Mainly because my parents have a 2005 Outback, and it's lovely to drive. I can only imagine how tight it feels on non off-road suspension. :D

TIMELESS likes this.
  3. TDUFREAK500

TDUFREAK500 Rotary <3

Remember to be very careful with spring compressors , they can cause some serious damage if they let go on you, especially if it happens while your top hat is loose.

4. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member

Yes, that would be disastrous

[​IMG]

TDUFREAK500 likes this.
  5. TDUFREAK500

TDUFREAK500 Rotary <3

Oh god Ryan......

6. me™

me™ *turbo whistle*

Well, I got the front left suspension arm done myself, and I've thrown the car and the box of parts at the garage for the rest.

My bank account is puckered in preparation, but it'll still be cheaper than a replacement car!

7. me™

me™ *turbo whistle*

It's back on the road now, with a fresh MOT, a year's tax, and a year's insurance.

I'm glad it's almost pay day!

This weekend I'll do an oil change and swap it to the summer wheels again (the 17" 10-spokes in gunmetal grey).

8. me™

me™ *turbo whistle*

So the car is finally all sorted (it got its MOT about a month ago but there were some other small things).

I paid the garage bill yesterday and picked it up with 2 new track rod ends and an alignment, then had to drive up to Inverness so my sister could pick up a new car (a 2013 Fiat Panda 1.2, booooring).

OMG I love my car again. The steering feels sublime!

I also added a couple of vinyls about a fortnight ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. me™

me™ *turbo whistle*

Today, I ended up drag-racing Calster's Lexbus.

I also won every single time.* :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*because it was wet and he was struggling to get the power down.

Hell, I just noticed I got slower as the track dried up!

killalldude and TIMELESS like this.
  10. calster17

calster17 Resident rubbish car fan.

Getting wheel spin at the halfway mark is always fun at my end though, specially with a dodgy suspension arm. ;)

Once I got the power down i was catching no problems, and passing the V-Box around 10mph faster as well. But all in all a good match, but the AWD is what saved you. :cheeky:

11. me™

me™ *turbo whistle*

Yeah, but I can go round corners without impersonating a boat. Following you back was hilarious!

Also, rolling shot just because!

[​IMG]

paint.net just happened.

[​IMG]

#31 me™, May 11, 2015
    Last edited by me™: May 11, 2015
    killalldude likes this.
  12. me™

me™ *turbo whistle*

Small update, but what should be a big improvement to the car.

It's currently getting a 'remap' that's turning more into a chip instead. I dropped it off on Wednesday and instead of just doing it in a day, the garage have had to send the ECU off to the mapping company to get a chip soldered in. It's turning out to be an awkward car to get mapped, as I've taken it somewhere else before, who spent half an hour trying then gave up. At least these guys are giving it a good shot for a reasonable price, and I've got a Mini One as a courtesy car until I get the Audi back! It should be ready on Monday or Tuesday.

The Mini is actually quite fun...

Oh yeah, the map is expected to take it up from the standard 180bhp to 211bhp.

13. me™

me™ *turbo whistle*

I never posted a post-map update. Whoops.

I picked it up last Wednesday.

Yeah... it's a bit quicker. It's actually got some mid-range grunt now. On Sunday I was overtaking a caravan going uphill in 4th gear with about 2/3rds throttle and ended up going *ahem* a little bit over the speed limit before noticing. :D

14. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Super Moderator
    tduck team

What's the final output, did you get 211bhp? Sounds like fun :nods:

15. me™

me™ *turbo whistle*

Yep, got 211bhp and 300Nm of torque. It is indeed quite fun.

16. me™

me™ *turbo whistle*

Yesterday I replaced the snub mount and bled the brakes with some new brake fluid.

For those of you unfamiliar with Audi A4s, the engine sits longways and is pushed quite far forwards due to the gearbox being a transaxle arrangement between the front wheels, with a propshaft coming out of the back of the gearbox, to the rear differential. There's no separate transfer case involved in this AWD system.

The snub mount is an engine mount on the front of the sump, which sits against the front crossmember, and when it wears out you get a shunt through the drivetrain on gearchanges and when lifting off the throttle suddenly.

To get the snub mount, I had to the put the car into 'service position' as you can see below:

[​IMG]

The whole slam panel, complete with the radiator still attached, can slide forward a couple of inches if you put threaded bar into the ends of the chassis legs to support it. That's what I did and it gave me enough wiggle room to swap out the snub mount. It drives a hell of a lot better now with a new one! Even the gear stick feels tighter and more accurate.

I also took a photo of it looking mean...

[​IMG]
    The reason I had it back down on its wheels with no front bumper was because I figured it would be easier to re-adjust the headlights without the bumper in the way, as I had much better access to the headlight mounts.

I started just after 9am yesterday and had actually finished by lunch time! :D

Well, the snub mount anyway. I bled the brakes in the afternoon.

#36 me™, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited by me™: Jul 19, 2015
  17. Camel

Camel New Member

Ooooh that looks fun.

Have you had the pleasure of changing the cambelt on it yet? iirc it's a 6 to 8 hour job. :eek:

18. me™

me™ *turbo whistle*

I got a garage to do it last year, along with the clutch and the dual-mass flywheel (which I got converted to a solid flywheel).

19. me™

me™ *turbo whistle*

Aha, I can upload files here.

I accidentally a BWARP PIPE.

It's a standard mid-section from an S4 adapted to fit a 1.8T quattro by cutting it off at the Y-pipe and welding a straight single pipe on, and a 3" stainless steel back box. I had to use a couple of reducers / adapters (and an unholy amount of gun gum) to fit it all together, but it works now. It's a rather 'interesting' arrangement, as the downpipe is just over 2" diameter, the mid-section is 2.5" diameter, then the back box is 3" diameter! :lol:

Works well though, and looks nice, as you can see in the photos. The exhaust I took off was really on its last legs, I can understand why it got advisories in its last MOT for corrosion on the mid and back sections! I gave this 'new' (2nd hand) mid-section a going over with an angle grinder / wire brush and high-temperature paint on the worst bits before fitting it. Got the whole lot for £100 off a guy on some Audi forums, and picked it up from Glenrothes on the way down to an airshow in East Fortune a couple of weeks back. Yes, the little tailpipes coming out of the backbox are unequal length, they match the curve of the rear bumper! :D

Attached Files:

#39 me™, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited by me™: Aug 10, 2015
    calster17 likes this.
  20. calster17

calster17 Resident rubbish car fan.

Un-equal tailpipes are cool! Also must count for something with the 'scene' lot. ;)

Can't wait to hear it this weekend by the way!

me™ likes this.