1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Space Thread: Diablo's Home Planet Found

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIMELESS, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Ozzmcom

Ozzmcom BBW-ingame

you don't have to worry about it, you know nothingness better than what's like being alive. As neil degrasse tyson pointed out we weren't even around to ask these questions for the 99.9999% of the cosmic history.

I'll comment on these death of universe and earth discussions.
    First of all our solar system will be long gone before any of the predicted theories on death of the universe even begin to happen. Sun will become a red giant in around 5.4 billion years, that means it'll get as big as the inner solar system (sun to mars) but the earth will be long gone before that process, and human species will be long gone before earth is destroyed (We're actually on the verge of 6th mass extinction cycle on earth). The heat death of the universe as Andrez posted is just one of the theories that could happen as it's pretty hard to simulate billions of years we'll get there soon enough though.

2. CLR-GTR

CLR-GTR Bunchie farmer

Humans have at most 600 million years before the sun terrorizes earth's atmosphere so bad that all plants die out. That means animals and we die out too. We have 600 million years to leave.

I hope they'll install some cameras in heat resistant housings so humanity can see how a red giant sunrise would look like :D

3. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Super Moderator
    tduck team

Well, if the rate of technological development continues at the current rate, in 600 million years it's likely we'll have moved planets, since that seems to be the plan currently. We'll probably have some indestructible GoPro 5000K cameras set up to document it :p

CLR-GTR likes this.
  4. TDUFREAK500

TDUFREAK500 Rotary <3

The fact that there is more stars in the observable universe (and that's only the observable universe!) than grains of sand on every single beach in the world, really makes it seem impossible that we could be alone, I am pretty sure there is other life out there.

CLR-GTR likes this.
  5. Ozzmcom

Ozzmcom BBW-ingame

not likely at all, I did read an article that mathematically formulated the possibility of interstellar travel by a famous astrophysicist and it basically points out there's not enough time for the technology to reach that level. I'll try to find that.

--- Post Updated ---

edit : Bad News: Interstellar Travel May Remain in Science Fiction

ok so couple more things, for us to reach the nearest star to our own solar system Proxima Centauri (4.2 light years away and has no planetery system) it would take us 19.000 years if we were to go at the speed of fastest man-made object to this date. Even if we managed to go at the speed of light which is the limit to how fast you can travel in space it would require a habitat that must be sustained for at least 4.2 years in interstellar space which is filled with radiation, asteroids and many more obsticles. That is certainly not happening any time soon at least.

#45 Ozzmcom, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited by Ozzmcom: Nov 17, 2014
  6. hassan1995

hassan1995 ( •_•)( •_•)>⌐■-■(⌐■_■)

I doubt we would develop technology that would allow interstellar travel, to achieve that it would take a monumental time and dedication not to mention the available resources which are needed to produce these machines. However what's not to say whatever is out there has already developed such technology but is not aware of our solar system hence no communication.

7. Ozzmcom

Ozzmcom BBW-ingame

8. CLR-GTR

CLR-GTR Bunchie farmer

They say the warp drive principle creates a bubble around the ship that protects everything inside from the outside and the massive speed... Who knows if that might offer us enough protection. Such a ship would be extremely big so it would be built in space I assume like the ISS. Problem is indeed it needs to be a residence for many years for so many people. You can't just pile up a million people in a canister and keep them frozen until we'd get there. xD

9. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

Aren't we already looking into cryostasis too though?

10. CLR-GTR

CLR-GTR Bunchie farmer

Yes, NASA started experiments to apply this for near-future Mars travel. It eliminates so much room, comfort and life-support that it keeps the size of the craft small (or all that room can be used for way more payload) which requires less fuel.

11. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Super Moderator
    tduck team

NASA's Orion Test Flight Gets Us Closer To Mars

hassan1995 and CLR-GTR like this.
  12. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Super Moderator
    tduck team

On phone so can't sauce but it's been pushed back 24 hours due to winds, misfiring valves and "encroaching boats".

13. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

I think that may be the one my kid brother's name is on with that Boarding Pass thing they did.

14. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Super Moderator
    tduck team

Haha really? I don't think I've heard about that before. That's pretty cool though!

15. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

16. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Super Moderator
    tduck team

*flaps* The time zones must have confused me because it's already happened :lol:

#56 TIMELESS, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by Diablo: Feb 19, 2018
  17. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

Yep there's been a really good amount of shots from multiple locations such as the ISS, the craft itself and the ground. They even have a drone flying over the landing zone to catch it's return to earth.

18. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Super Moderator
    tduck team

Any idea when it returns? I clearly haven't got a clue here :lol: Would really like to see a live stream of it this time :p

19. CLR-GTR

CLR-GTR Bunchie farmer

Wiki:

20. CLR-GTR

CLR-GTR Bunchie farmer

Philae entered hibernation, but we have something else floating around that has woken up:

[​IMG]

On Pluto's Doorstep, NASA's New Horizons Spacecraft Awakens for Encounter | NASA

Quite an important bit of equipment, because it will be the first one to deliver footage from ''near by'' of Pluto. So far all imagery that exists of Pluto is either generated on very rough composition data from other probes and earth-based observations, or it's simply an artistic impression. Nice little touch: New Horizons carries a portion of the ashes of its discoverer, Clyde Tombaugh.

TIMELESS likes this.