1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Test Drive brand acquired by Bigben Interactive

Discussion in 'Driving & Racing Games' started by The Compensator, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

Yeah it's for future TEST DRIVE titles, the previous releases and the TDU games are still Atari's. I don't think there's nothing stopping Bigben from putting in O'ahu or Ibiza either unless Atari have stipulated that or something? :oook: It will have to be from scratch though if they do.

2. Stories

Stories New Member

welldone, it seems to be a new game, nothing same than the original Eden game/Atari then, only the name was bought in these conditions if we interpret it well

so if someone buy the old Eden/Atari concept/license, it will can't be named "Test Drive Unlimited" then, it seems a strange business :para:

3. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

Exactly. I believe they could call their new game Test Drive Unlimited 3 but not make it out to be a reboot like NFS did by using the Most Wanted title again for example.

4. superhyper

superhyper mamamamamamamadness

I'm 100% with you. While we have got many fun open-world racers after TDU(&2), none of them had the same feeling of actually living that life and buying + owning those cars.

5. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

That is the thing though between all of those that have come: they all do things better and worse than one another and none have been able to gel it all together.

-- TDU had the experiencing the rich life done well
    -- Midnight Club LA had impressive customisation (I want to change the profile and brand of my tyres again damnit!)
    -- NFS has the cool police chases
    -- TDU 2 added weather and functioning roofs
    -- Forza Horizon brought on some stunning visuals, decent handling and nice sounds

Now if only we could get the sum of all of those parts into one game eh? :nuts:

6. mau92

mau92 Well-Known Member

I think that no game could catch up with TDU it's because, the latter in its time, offered something the others didn't, or offered in a way we haven't experienced before.
    - Did we have open world games? Yes, every single NFS since UG2 was. Were they based situated in real locations? Not that I can remember (At least until FH came)
    - Did we have street racing? Yes, pretty much every NFS since NFS1
    - Did we have a big selection of luxury cars ? Yes, Gran Turismo and Forza
    - Did all the cars had cockpits modelled? Not in Gran Turismo, afaik
    - Could we change clothes, do missions, transport misterious packages, super models or exclusive cars? Nope, maybe in GTA.

And I could go on with many more, but as Lookie said, TDU actually let you feel like the car was yours and live like a rich guy who doesn't have to worry about money. You could go to the dealer, spec your car, choose rims, choose colors and drive off, straight to your house. And oh, the GPS in the infotainment system, I'm bored of reading "///M" or "AMG" or "Jaguar" or whatever it is, why can't we have this today? Okay, TDU didn't have digital tacho/speedo...

Well, they can call it... Test Drive "Unchained" or anything that suggests it's an open world racer :p

RobikV3 likes this.
  7. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

Two of the things I really liked about TDU was how the rear view in the cars was the rear view. It still makes me laugh thinking how looking behind you in the Maserati MC12 shows you nothing but a carbon fibre backing. And second was the way you could look around the interior of the cars even so much as being able to look up the sky or glance through the sunroof of many vehicles. One of a handful of games where if you hear a plane above, you can actually look up at it.

I bet a number of you when doing laps round the race track tilted your view to see the plane taking off at the airport at some point. :D

I enjoy little details like that. :nuts:

8. Loek

Loek Alleged estate fetishist

Well, if you get rid of Ibiza, I can't take my pills anymore.... :D

maybe this is the moment in which we finally get a OWRG settled in Dubai? I'm all for it.

9. superhyper

superhyper mamamamamamamadness

Now I REALLY want to play some TDU :bsad:

10. Ozzmcom

Ozzmcom BBW-ingame

your order of feels has arrived, please sign here.
    20090831014505.jpg

#50 Ozzmcom, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited by Diablo: Apr 13, 2018
  11. The Compensator

The Compensator Future heel&toe historian

I should dump some TDU pics.

12. Paladin Skylark

*waits with Andai*

:tw:

13. RobikV3

RobikV3 RB26DETT

You've literally hit the nail on the head there :clap:

It really annoys me in Forza for example, You have all that forzavista crap, and then You still cant drive the Agera or Zonda without the roof, even though its already there modeled in Vista, and what Diablo said about rearwiev, if Im driving R8 V10 I wan't to see that damn V10 everytime I look behind Me.

But of course evertime they announce new car game its " We want to turn car entusiasts into gamers, and gamers into car entusiasts"
    and then they'll give us half done game like The Crew, with bad handling, and lazily detailed car models, like seriously look at some of the cockpits in that game, some cars gauge clusters literally look like a low res sticker.

I mean come on theres pretty much no racing games these days, If they can really take their time, detail everything, perfect the handling, then Im pretty sure they'll make Us happy and probably their pockets as well, so its a win-win situation but I guess thats too much...

#53 RobikV3, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited by RobikV3: Dec 16, 2016
  14. Ozzmcom

Ozzmcom BBW-ingame

well this is why I've said many years ago TDU will always be one of a kind. It was a shot in the dark by a small studio, they didn't think about appealing to casual market and created a masterpiece by mistake. When you have thousands of shareholders and a board of directors constantly harassing the studio you can't have games like TDU.

15. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

Low grade interiors are one thing I really hate (yes this is how strongly I feel about it along with crappy sounds) now seeing in modern games. When Forza, DRIVECLUB, Gran Turismo, Project CARS and others reproduce them properly it feels kind of cheap when others don't.

16. mau92

mau92 Well-Known Member

You forgot the crappy sounds... And I agree with you, some cars have such a crappy interior, the gauges don't have the same font as the real ones... For example the BMW M5 or M4, man those are awful cockpits...

#56 mau92, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited by Diablo: Dec 17, 2016
  17. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member

Another good thing about TDU was that if you saw a mountain you could proceed to drive up it without spending $30 in DLC

[​IMG]

BeSweeet, DartGT, RobikV3 and 5 others like this.
  18. Djey

Djey Well-Known Member

Diablo likes this.
  19. CLR-GTR

CLR-GTR Bunchie farmer

And the photomode wasn't too horrible when you'd zoom in, showing massive LOD degrading of the landscape.

20. hassan1995

hassan1995 ( •_•)( •_•)>⌐■-■(⌐■_■)

Just remaster TDU, simple :lol:

mau92 likes this.