1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryzza5's PC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ryzza5, Sep 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Ozzmcom

Ozzmcom BBW-ingame

I'm awarding above as the geekiest post this forum has ever seen

2. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member
    tduck team

Why thank you. The designs are required because I'll need (to build) a new desk, so want to ensure everything will fit together somehow.

That said I splurged on the new monitor, which is huuuuge. :eek:

3. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member
    tduck team

The monitor is bigger than I imagined so I've never bothered to go multi-monitor with my old 1080p display (plus the cable isn't long enough to reach the PC beyond the new screen) :lol: Just too far away to look at, couldn't even reach the edge of the 2nd monitor from where I'm sitting.

Anyway the desk is all built and painted (not orange or brown either) - something called Ironstone which has a modern-ish feel to it.
    [​IMG]

Anyway the main reason for finding this thread was to mention those newly announced Intel Skylake-X HEDT CPU's. The i7 7820X appears to be the sweet spot, somewhat similar to the AMD Ryzen 1800X with 8 cores + 16 threads, but Intel will have a higher IPC rate, will boost out of the box to 4.5GHz, and has 28 PCI lanes instead of AMD's 16. It's a little over $100USD more expensive than the 1800X.

There's only one catch. The X299 platform demands that all motherboards support all CPUs. That means that it is possible to purchase an expensive motherboard that has features intended for higher end CPUs with 44 PCI lanes, which a 28- or 16-lane CPU couldn't take full advantage of. I suspect that my proposed build (only one graphics card and one (or maybe eventually 2) M.2 NVME storage drives won't be bottlenecked, whereas a 44-lane CPU would be for multiple GFX cards and 10gb NICs. In any case, motherboard spec sheets will have to be very detailed to explain this.

It seems that the 8000 CPU's (i.e. 8700K) will also come out later this year. The newly announced 'Kaby Lake X' CPUs are basically just like the 7700K but with no integrated graphics and higher TDP (power draw) which enables slightly better performance (but might have the best single-threaded performance for now).

The only other catch is that I'm spending a fair bit of savings on moving out of the nest so a new HEDT may not remain a priority this year. My Internet connection should hopefully be much faster though.

4. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member
    tduck team

Time to revive this thread. And time to build a new PC!

The outgoing PC was built in 2012, with the GPU updated in 2015:
    Case: CoolerMaster Silencio 650
    Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V-Deluxe
    CPU: Intel i7 3750K overclocked at 4.1GHz
    Cooler: Corsair H80 AIO liquid cooler
    RAM: Gskill RipjawsZ F3-17000 16GB 2133MHz (back when DDR3 was brand new)
    GPU (2012): eVGA nVidia GTX 680 4GB 1019MHz O/C edition
    GPU (2015): Gigabyte nVidia Titan X (900 series)
    SSD: Samsung 1TB 850 EVO SSD
    HDD: 4x 2TB WD Black HDDs
    Some 1000W PSU (replaced the old noisy 1200W some years ago)
    Click to view outgoing specs

New parts:

Case: Fractal Design Define R6 with USB Type C 3.1 Gen 2 front I/O
    Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390
    CPU: Intel i9-9900K
    Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 280mm AIO liquid cooler
    RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz
    GPU: Gigabyte nVidia Titan X (old)
    M.2: Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVME
    SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB (old)
    HDD: 1x WD Black 2TB (old)*
    PSU: Same as old build

* I've also purchased 2x 10TB HDDS to upgrade my NAS storage. I plan to move/remove a bunch of old stored files on the old HDDS and cease using them.

All parts are in hand besides the new CPU and M.2 SSD which should be delivered early next week. I'll probably wait for the next series of GPU's before upgrading that. At the moment I'm doing ok driving the 1440p 21:9 screen with the current GPU.

#44 Ryzza5, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited by Ryzza5: Dec 2, 2018
    DΛN likes this.
  5. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

you must be rich,

any particular reason to use latest i9 chip? you running any application that uses multi cores?

DΛN likes this.
  6. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member
    tduck team

Yes I do a whole lot of everything but am time-poor as a result. I found some good Black Friday deals so I upgraded a bit more than originally planned. My current PC lasted 6.5 years and I expect this one to do the same. I'd rather do this than spend half as much on a PC but twice as often.

Rich? Nah, I try live a simple life then occasionally feel like splurging occasionally. I'll be able to write some of it off as a tax deduction.

Diablo likes this.
  7. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

I see, mine also been with me for many years, slowly evolving,
    here is short list i7 8700k, liquid cooled 980ti x2, 32GB DDR4, 30TB HDD+SSD
    #PCmasterrace

Ryzza5 likes this.