1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attention! Our community going forward

Discussion in 'News, Support & Feedback' started by Diablo, May 14, 2018.

1. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

Note:
    Prior to this announcement, I have already been in contact with the mod team and the original Diablo,
    what I found out was they were somewhat concerned about future of this community because the previous buyer wasn't being transparent.

Here is what happened:
    the buyer auctioned this site after owning it for a month (maybe that's his business model, maybe he doesn't have time...)
    which I purchased and I am here to assure you this community won't show up on auction again.

About myself:
    My internet name is Eudemon, changed the avatar just so you can differentiate, I am an Anime fan + casual gamer (used to game a lot),
    I have offered this account back to original Diablo but he wants to remain as insaneone due to change of life style.
    I am a software engineer lives in United States who specializes in web application development,
    I own a community myself for over 8 years, so I have a lot of respect for insaneone for keeping it alive 11 years,
    I am not interested in making money off this site, I want to help the royal members like you by developing a better system.

Here is what I am going to do (in no particular order):
    • Removed invasive ads, removed donation
    • Migrate forum system from xenforo to invision power board
      This will speed to deployment time of features because my other community also runs on it, effectively avoids keeping two different versions of system,
      I know this community already went through the transition from vbulletin, I will test the move in my local environment to make sure seamless migration.
      In addition, it comes with other features including, but not limited to:
      Download section, which will allow direct mod upload to the site
      Gallery section, for creating personal albums show case screenshots
      Personal Blog, Club etc
    • Direct integrate Wordpress (news site) with the forum, allow single login across both area, and sharing session time
    • Redesign of entire site, which will be more visually integrated across news and forum.
    • Migrate to my custom private cloud server, this will ensure both performance and uptime
    • SEO changes, fixing broken links, layouts, SMTP emails etc
    • Custom scripts will be written for things like calculating in-game mechanic
    • Wiki, News contributor program, expand in other area, collaborate with my other community if we have enough anime lovers, building social media presents and more
    by no mean that any of above is decided so please let me know what you think, if you feel uncomfortable saying certain thing, feel free to shoot me an PM.
    Please continue to support the community by regularly visiting and posting news updates, as a new member to the community I look forward to learn from you guys.

#1 Diablo, May 14, 2018
    Last edited by Diablo: Jul 2, 2018
  2. Milli

Milli An eternal apprentice.

So now you're Diablo, the 3rd? A.k.a. Aventador? :hmmm:

My only concern is replyed, which was if the forum would be dead or not. You're saying you don't plan to do so, and that is enough for me. As the other changes, i don't really know/understand enough to give a valid opinion, but the ability to upload files here directly is somewhat interesting. I mean, must see how big the file can be, because my TDU project will be large... :lol:

Robban93, insaneone and Diablo like this.
  3. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

:whistle: ah Yes I am the 3rd now, the 1st is still here, I hope he show up soon to ease some people's worry
    (removed my avatar in case some people feel unpleasant about it)

That one thing I still need to learn about the community, what is usual size of a mod? if it's big I can plan to have them store off the main site disk.
    and what's your opinion on download structure, keeping it the same way it is now or change?
    for example the current structure would be:

TDU modes
    -----vehicle mod
    -----customization mod
    -----environment mod
    TDU2 modes
    -----vehicle mod
    -----customization mod
    -----environment mod
    -----sound mod
    -----gameplay mod

4. Milli

Usually today a car mod for TDU, which are the biggest individual files is around 30mb a .zip, with variations going up or down.

My TDU project will be waaaaaay bigger, because it basically overhauls the whole game. So, i expect it to be over 5gb. :lol:

If i can't, no problem, the old plan remains, which is upload on my google drive and post a hyperlink here, and also try to make a torrent.

About the structure, i am fine about it, haven't had a big thought about it, to be honest. :lol:

Anyways, tomorrow i can reply better, as it is 11pm here and i need to wake up really early in the morning tomorrow.

5. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

sounds good, the system will allow you to direct link files if unable to upload, 30mb average files the server should be able to handle well.

I was thinking a more genetic structuring if we allow mods uploads of other games.

I look forward to talk to you more about it tomorrow, btw if you still follow anime stuff here is my anime page: Eudemon Anime

6. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member
    tduck team

Hi Eudemon

Thanks for the introductory post and for being so transparent. I had no idea we had been sold again (but yes #2 had been quiet).

Concerns:
    * Activity has been low here for a few years. For a while some of us just checked in to share things via the chatbox. That said if you try searching for another forum which is intended for all kinds of driving + racing games then not much comes up, as most sites are either game specific or only for simulation titles. So there is potential.
    * Some vehicle mods may have been hosted offsite due to potential legal problems if the mod was converted (ripped) from a different driving game. This was more common in the early days but there are more scratch-made mods these days.
    * Diablo can mean 'Devil', and now 'Eudemon' it turns out also has a similar definition. Should we be worried? :)

7. Docent

Docent Member

Sounds awesome man, thanks for introduction and good news!

8. TDUZoqqer

TDUZoqqer whomst'd that

I like the idea of direct uploads of mods. I know several other TDU forums offered this feature in the past, and I wasn't sure why TDuck didn't have this aswell, as it forced modders to share mods on more or less cancerous filehosters, which some modders even capitalized.

Would be great if third party hoster links would be blacklisted in general when the feature gonna take place. Rapidshare etc are just a pain in the A for consumers.

Robban93 likes this.
  9. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

*This has been a common thing among forums, including mine, they have been slowly eaten alive by social media for years. After all, people want speed and convenience of reaching same fanbase. I (we) plan to expand and develop the community for this reason
    *Legal problems are major problem for me, I live in US where recent laws might hold me accountable for everything anyone shared in an open registration forum :( what do you think we can do to prevent that
    *no worries, it's kinda the opposite Eudaemon (mythology) - Wikipedia

10. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

If money is their objective, there are many way better things they could do with free time, unless the uploader is not the modder.
    Yes, we will be able to blacklist domain wide, I know how annoying some of filesharing sites are

11. Ozzmcom

Ozzmcom BBW-ingame

This has been a problem for most forums I'd say, the forum format as a community space is an outdated idea now, most communities prefer discord.

12. TDUZoqqer

TDUZoqqer whomst'd that

Is there a TDuck discord?

13. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

discord as well but I'd say real killer is social media, forum (or bulletin board) exist since the beginning of internet,
    in order for us to survive, I think we need to evolve and adapt to new technology.

Milli likes this.
  14. mau92

mau92 Well-Known Member

Well it's good to see the forum is taking a new direction and trying to make a comeback. I really enjoy the forum format over social media much more, so I'm looking forward to the new changes. Also, I'm glad you are doing what I've been thinking about for some time, that is cater people to forums via the front page/news.
    Keep us posted!

Regards

15. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

At core, the news and forum are two pieces of different software, which they don't talk to each other,
    I am not surprised if many of you already acknowledge these issues but lack the development skill or time to bring it to reality, which is what I can bring to the table.

16. Ozzmcom

Ozzmcom BBW-ingame

I'll create one if one day this forum dies :cheeky:

17. TDUZoqqer

TDUZoqqer whomst'd that

A simple "no" would have been literally the same answer :lol:

18. Milli

A simple "no" wouldn't give us hope. :lol:

19. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin