1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oculus Rift: VR making progress

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Ryzza5, Aug 4, 2012.

?

When do you think VR will be available to consumers at a reasonable price?

1. 2012

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2013

12.5%
  3. 2014

25.0%
  4. 2015

12.5%
  5. 2016

12.5%
  6. 2017+

37.5%
  1. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member

2. TDUFREAK500

TDUFREAK500 Rotary <3

that looks epic, doubt i will ever be able to afford it though LOL

3. ScoobSTi

ScoobSTi New Member

If I could ever afford it, I'd definitely get it.

Would make going 'round corners easier!

4. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member

Doing you guys a favour by copying this from the WMD portal:

ScoobSTi and MrLolololXD like this.
  5. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member

Update #14

Details on New Display for Developer Kits

Details on New Display for Developer Kits
    Now that we have the developer kit specifications locked down and our manufacturing process underway, there’s a lot more information we can share with everyone. We are putting together a series of updates for our backers about the changes we've made to the design and we thought we'd start with the display.

The panel we were using in our prototype was a 5.6” LCD with a resolution of 1280x800. This screen is a great size for a VR headset and it has an impressive pixel density for the year it was produced. Nevertheless, it has flaws: it isn't particularly bright, the contrast ratio is low, and the color accuracy is abysmal. The two biggest issues, though, are its poor fill factor and high switching times.

Pixel Fill Factor

Fill factor is a combination of several things, but it boils down to this: there are displays that have very little space between the pixel elements and others that have a meaningful amount of black space between pixel elements. DLP projectors are an example of a display type that generally has a very high fill factor with negligible space between pixels; LCDs, on the other hand, often suffer from a low fill factor where a large portion of the panel is occupied by the black space around the pixel elements. On very large screens, this makes it seem as if the image has a fine black grid overlaid on it, often referred to as the “screen door effect”.
    WMD Forum

On our original 5.6” panel, the screen door effect was easy to see under magnification of the Rift's optics. You don’t notice it as much when you’re playing, but it’s still an unfortunate artifact. Luckily, the new 7” display has a much higher fill factor! This means that the screen door effect is significantly reduced, resulting in a better looking image.

Pixel Switching Time

The second major flaw was the switching time, the amount of time required for a pixel to switch from one color to another. Our old panel begins switching colors very quickly, which was good, since it reduced the latency between movement and the image responding. However, it’s weakness was that it took a very long time to fully switch colors. This sometimes resulted in motion-blur effect as the frames switched, especially during quick movements of the head.

Our new 7” panel has a switching time that is about twice as fast! This makes a big difference in the perceived responsiveness of the system and helps alleviate the undesired motion-blur.

Other Benefits of the 7'' Display

There are several other minor enhancements: the contrast ratio is greatly improved, which can especially help with games like DOOM 3: BFG Edition where you have bright lights in dark environments; the color accuracy is better as well (though it can be hard to tell if you don’t have both panels side by side to compare); and the total light output of the new display is higher, resulting in more vibrant bright scenes.

We've also changed our drive electronics! The control box is attached to the headset with a thin and durable cable carrying video, USB, and power. The box contains a custom control board that we designed to minimize video latency. It has easily accessible buttons for contrast and brightness adjustment and it's much smaller than the control boxes we've been showing with our prototypes.

Being forced to switch panels was certainly a challenge, but in the end it should result in an improved Oculus Rift developer kit and a better VR experience overall.
    Oculus at I/ITSEC This Week!

We're at I/ITSEC 2012 in Orlando, Florida this week (Dec. 3 - 6). If you're at the conference, come by our booth, #3034 on the show floor, and check out the latest Rift demos.You can also email [removed] if you're interested in a private meeting with our team.

More updates coming soon. Thanks everyone!

Best,
    Palmer and the Oculus team

#5 Ryzza5, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited by Ryzza5: Dec 7, 2012
  6. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member

Andy Tudor from SMS / pCARS gives his initial impressions of the device

Another popular Rift video:

#6 Ryzza5, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited by Diablo: Feb 19, 2018
  7. Ozzmcom

Ozzmcom BBW-ingame

#7 Ozzmcom, Apr 26, 2013
    Ryzza5 likes this.
  8. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member

These have come quite aways from what I've been reading and there's now plenty of people out there with dev kits. Talk is these could be ready by the holiday season but 2014 seems like the safe bet at this stage. Some modders have been able to hack older games to work with this to varying levels of success (i.e. FSX, Minecraft, etc), and there are plenty of racing sim devs building support for it currently.

Have a quick search on YouTube and if you find something you like post it here.

9. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member

#9 Ryzza5, Sep 20, 2013
  10. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member

11. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member

Updates on the Rift @ E3 2014

* DevKit 2 units in production for July delivery
    * Order a DevKit 2 now for August delivery
    * Facebook acquisition allows the use of 'best in class' components without increasing the retail price
    * Oculus hiring staff to make their own IP (games) similar to Nintendo/Valve to make VR appealing to mass audiences.
    * CB1 might not be that far away (2015?)
    * Games need to be able to run at ~75FPS at 1440p for a recommended 'presence' experience.

#11 Ryzza5, Jun 13, 2014
  12. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member

Quite a good Q&A session here:

#12 Ryzza5, Jun 21, 2015
  13. ScureHD

ScureHD New Member

It will be never better for years, because there will be always new and better ones which will make it expensive. But of course you will be able to buy older ones cheaper.

14. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member

Here is where the Rift vision specs currently sit, and where the desired pipe dream specs lie (essentially, what most humans see in real reality)

[​IMG]

15. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member

16. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member

Preorders go live on Jan 6, which is the day that P.L. has the CES stage.

You get two free games. An Xbox One controller for PC. The OR hand controllers are delayed to the second half of 2016. Project CARS and other sims have Rift support, so if you have a steering wheel, this should be pretty good. Assuming your PC is fast enough.

Blog — Oculus Rift Pre-Orders to Open on January 6

Wait for nVidia's next graphics card lineup around May/June this year if you plan to upgrade.

17. Camel

Camel New Member

I think I read earlier that it's recommended that you have a minimum of a GeForce 970 or AMD 290. That's a hell of a minimum. :eek:

Recommended and minimum in the same sentence. :hmmm:

18. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member

Or be prepared to turn graphics down low to boost FPS. From what I've heard, a lot of the fancy graphics eye candy is quite unnecessary and can even reduce immersion.

19. superhyper

superhyper mamamamamamamadness

OH WOW! 700€?? That's WAY too much, shame as I was really excited about VR :( But I'd also need to upgrade my PC so there's that :lol:

Also don't understand the fact that it's so much more expensive in Europe because 600 USD should equal about 550€