1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Koenigsegg Agera RS destroys the world's fastest production car speed record (MAX: 284.55mph)

Discussion in 'Automotive Discussion' started by Diablo, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

Not content with taking the Bugatti Chiron's 0-249mph-0 accolade a few months ago, the same customer car that did that has only gone and unleashed itself along an 11-mile stretch closed public highway in the USA in the capable hands of factory test driver Niklas Lilja and reached 284.55 mph in one direction, aided in the fact it's slightly downhill and the was wind behind them.
    Those of you who know how these things work know that blasting down just the one way is not how a record is made and so on the journey back, this time running uphill and against the wind, the 'Egg managed to only do 271.9 mph, giving an average speed of 277.9 mph (444.6 km/h).

Still, not too shabby that. :cheeky:

It seems the race to 300 is well and truly on!

Koenigsegg has smashed the world's fastest car record | Top Gear

2. TDUZoqqer

TDUZoqqer Well-Known Member

Chiron owners still laugh in their fists, as their Chiron will be 8x more reliable than the Egg.

A friend of mine had both, a Koenigsegg (CCXR, unofficial development mule from Koenigsegg) and a Veyron (Vitesse SS) and he have sold the Egg as it broke down literally every 300 kilometers.

3. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

I respect the engineering and the speed the fat Bug can hit. These cars are two different beasts but that doesn't make their accomplishments any less deserving.
    Awesome friend that!

BTW what do you mean by "unofficial development mule"? Surely it being, I imagine, more a prototype, it is likely going to be prone to some setbacks compared to a factory edition?

#3 Diablo, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited by Diablo: Feb 21, 2018
  4. mau92

mau92 Well-Known Member

Of course those Chirons won't broke, they'll be sitting at a controlled temperature garage most of their lifespan. Btw, if a car is a development mule I think it's quite expected to be unreliable, I guess it was cheaper to buy too. I'm not saying Koenigseggs are better than Bugattis, but to me these are more "in your face" cars than Bugattis, that became very fast luxury boats :p (Which is a feat itself too).
    On an engineering side, cars are getting to power levels that were unthinkable of some decades ago. Also, this car got up to Mach 0.36, when this happens you must consider the air compression as a factor when designing the aerodynamics (Not that under 445km/h you don't have to consider it, but its effect aren't as "strong" as in higher speeds). Also, at that car was travelling 123.5 m/s on average, that's simply crazy for a street car... The top end of the automotive world is going crazy, and they don't seem to be stopping anytime soon, just let them fight.

5. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

Added official Racelogic video to the OP. :cool: It's nuts how much slower 200 mph looks as he's coasting along.

6. RobikV3

RobikV3 RB26DETT

^This. Finally theyre showing what these cars are really capable of first, the 0-400-0 record now this, Go Koenigsegg!!

#6 RobikV3, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited by RobikV3: Nov 6, 2017
    mau92 likes this.
  7. TDUZoqqer

TDUZoqqer Well-Known Member

They brought him the new engine parts for free before anyone else, basically like a firmware update on windows, just before the next customers had them. It was legit production ready but he had the parts before. I dont know, dont ask me it was weird.

#7 TDUZoqqer, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited by Diablo: Feb 21, 2018
  8. Mars

Mars New Member

I just hope no one gets injured or killed in the race to 300, the hennessey venom f5 is hoping to hit that mark, but wouldn't be the fastest production car unless they make over 25 units if I'm not mistaken? Still very awesome for koenigsegg, I always liked those cars and the maker is a cool guy.

9. RobikV3

RobikV3 RB26DETT

Im not sure what determines a production car, the Venom GTs were registered as modified Lotus but it held the record as a production car I think

Edit: According to wiki it was counted as production car but, it didnt count for the record since there where less than 25 made, which is weird cause even if there is 25 Ageras not every one boasts the 1360hp engine used in this one, which broke the record.

#9 RobikV3, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited by RobikV3: Nov 7, 2017
  10. TDUFREAK500

TDUFREAK500 Rotary <3

The Venom also didn't count for a record because they only made a run one way, not both.

RobikV3 likes this.