1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finnish bakery makes bread out of crushed insects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Diablo, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

If you have ever heard about how the global animal meat trade and its production is forever putting insane pressure on resource usage and dangerous emissions, you will know that one of the solutions is the use of more insects as a source of our food. Full of protein and many other things that are good for you, this is one area that understandably hasn't got people jumping to make the change.
    Finland recently is looking to help in that regard, after lifting the ban on insects being used in food (gross fact: there is actually a minimum amount of insect remains permitted to be in a lot of our food because of the near impossibility to avoid trace amounts getting in) earlier this month and now a bakery in Finland is putting out a bread made from crushed crickets.

Finland rolls out bread made from crushed crickets - BBC News

2. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member

Aren't insects already used for food colourings anyway?

3. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Super Moderator
    tduck team

I mean.. I'd try it for sure, it's hardly much different from eating dead animals is it?

4. Milli

Milli An eternal apprentice.

5. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

You are very likely using crushed insects more than you think in your day-to-day life Milli.

6. Milli

Milli An eternal apprentice.

Not eating them is enough to me. :lol: And in what exactly i'd use crushed insects?

7. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Super Moderator
    tduck team

Eat anything with flour in it? :lol:

8. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

Look into your cosmetics. I remember hearing in a quiz question that a lot of the colour red comes from a certain type of farmed beetle. Unfortunately I forget the actual answer. :p

9. carlos_69

carlos_69 OMG EVO

I ain't saying i wouldn't try it but maybe with some good amount of butter and some ham. chorizo and cheese it would maybe not taste that bad or would actually favour the taste.