1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distant mountains with more quality,

Discussion in 'TDU2 - Mod Tools & Support' started by Ramon1991cobra, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Ramon1991cobra

Ramon1991cobra Active Member

When you press the button for the map the distant mountains increase their quality (photo below), but when it is in free ride they go back to see normal (photo above = low poly)

If someone is interested (someone with knowledge in hex editing) would be good some modification so that the mountains look better in the distance, but I have no idea how that could be done.

[​IMG]

StarGT likes this.
  2. Speeder

Speeder Well-Known Member

TDU2 probably use the same system as TDU1, so the distant sector (here the moutains) uses the 'Area-x-x-x-x' geometry file instead of the 'Sector-x-x-x-x'.

To put it short:
    - An Area folder contains several sectors files + a area bnk, which is used as the highest LOD (level of detail) on the map screen and in game (for the farest sector that's not loaded into memory yet)
    - A sector acts as the lowest LOD and is (afaik) only used in game. It also contains multiple LOD for sector specific geometry (e.g. lighthouse, ...) as well as an heightmap for the terrain (which is splitted into several patches for tesselation)

There might also be a way to edit the way the game streams the sectors (by adding more sectors to be loaded into memory) if it's not hardcoded into the game code. :geek:

StarGT likes this.
  3. Ramon1991cobra

Hopefully possible to do this, it would be a great quality improvement for the game.

4. MichaelB450

MichaelB450 Retired sound mod maker...

There's a good chance that it's too much for the game engine to handle, just look at how the game loads up mod vehicles in most cases. For me the game freezes up for a second sometimes when loading an AI with a vehicle mod I installed.

5. Ramon1991cobra

Maybe you are right, because when I use a mod of a car that replaces some of the NPC cars in free ride, the screen freezes a second or sometimes the game closes (bug).

MichaelB450 likes this.
  6. MichaelB450

Well if the game crashes from loading up an AI with a vehicle mod, that most likely means that the "med" quality model is missing from the game files.

7. Minime891

In a lot of cases as well it's because mods are missing the BODY_HR object/dummy which can cause issues. I found this out when working on the unofficial patch.

8. StarGT

StarGT Ukrainian car modder

i dont think thats med files of mods makes crashes, its not depends on missing BODY_HR, MR, LR lods

9. MichaelB450

I have had that happen with some vehicle mods I tested. Where the med bnk was missing and loading up a race would cause the game to crash (if the AI in the race had the same mod vehicle).

Edit:
    The game probably crashes from that to prevent the code from going into an infinite loop.

Edit 2:
    Going off topic, so I will draw a line here...

#9 MichaelB450, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited by MichaelB450: Apr 21, 2018
  10. StarGT

StarGT Ukrainian car modder

what vehicels ???

11. MichaelB450

I think you know what I mean. ;)

12. Minime891

@StarGT Okay you're right, I must have dreamt the issues i had when working on the Unofficial Patch. :D

13. mrwhite69

mrwhite69 Rookie

Hello , happy to see that our game is still alive :)

14. Ramon1991cobra

I will continue modifying and playing TDU2 until TDU3 is released or some similar.

MagicV8 likes this.