1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Various A community project: "Around The Ground: Kish" [Official]

Discussion in 'Driving & Racing Games' started by The Actual D4N005H, Oct 10, 2018.

1. DJayAftermath

DJayAftermath New Member

Ahh that makes sense..

2. The Actual D4N005H

Sunday night is the time I show you guys the car physics simulation test. Don't miss it. I have spent my last dollars of my bank account buying brand-new shoes just to make the video look better, you better watch it. :D

0. That is sad, Hope more people (especially, modders) see this and support me as this is a community project.
    1. There could be real cars in the game but their names and models should not represent their real-life counterparts and ultimately, the 3D models ought to either designed by me or they should be commercially legal to be used in the video game. This is the legal way and so I have to do it this way if I ever want to add a car to the game.
    2.Cool.
    3. I don't have time for that, doing all the "actual" work take a lot... and I mean a lot!... of time, as I do the whole process of the project alone. But good for you, though. I check out your project, too!! Good job :)
    4.Hah! In that case, we are on the same page then! This is my passion project, which means it is what it is :) Oh I also made a realistic license plate manager which defines the car ID, In other words, the license plate registration policy of an in-game car is actually the same as in real life, That also is the car's ID.

DonnieBrasco likes this.
  3. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Notable Member
    tduck team

Nice work so far.

I like the detailed city streets, and the wind effect on the trees.
    My main concern is that the island seems more desert-y, and particularly seems to lack any mountainous areas of elevation of any kind, which makes driving more fun imo.

The Actual D4N005H likes this.
  4. The Actual D4N005H

ATG: Kish Physics Test
    In these videos, you'll see its physics system, Remember everything is in beta.
    • 1st iteration test:
      • Watch it here:
    • 2nd iteration test:
      • Improved physics for tires
      • water physics for windshield added ( Inspired by DriveClub's rain FX)
      • Improved sound system
        • Watch it here:

Thanks for your feedback. That is one of the Speedtree tree models that I have spent quite of resources for them, I manually optimized all of them!! They better look good :) There are GBs of trees for the project, all the trees are on the real island. However, I have to do a research for their Palm, Coconut and Date trees more. Not sure if they have Chinese variants there or not.
    And About the topology of the island: While I know canyons races and mountain roads are exciting for us car lovers, "drifters", and car gamers, I believe that is a nightmare for level designers as height map data is really a huge problem in both pre and post game level designing phases. Kish is a great place for the project, it is surrounded by water, nobody ever simulated that before which makes it unique. And although it is about two times bigger than GTA V's map, it is almost a desert - just like Dubai - and it is almost flat which makes me able to design the project. Back in the day when I was starting to "simulate" the island, I wanted to test and simulate another place where there are mountains and it is much more beautiful than Kish IMO -also it is in Iran. and when I opened its GIS data, my whole laptop was about to explode - I use one mid-level laptop with 8GB of RAM to design the game. And at that time there was not a plugin or a good "GIS data to mesh" converter or anything like that, I made the whole island by myself manually in 3DS Max and with custom scripts for Unity, which took around a year or so.
    So not only technical limitation but also time limitation is one of the reasons I chose the small, flat and cozy Kish island. More about these things to come to its official website.
    But don't worry, I already have thought about that. The project's name is "Around The Ground" for a reason, there is a possibility that I add another place to it when possible.

Ryzza5 and TDU Iceman like this.
  5. TDU Iceman

TDU Iceman New Member

Looks promising, nice work.

Btw I agree with starting off simple, and the island you picked looks like a good way to go about it. It may not have elevation, but the layout is interesting, with its inner highway loop and coastal road loop. So at least it flows nice.

Also, for a long time I've been thinking that all that's really needed is a solid platform for open world driving with realistic physics. By that I mean, if a project like yours is being worked on by a single person or a small team, there should be some basic content like a few cars and an environment, but for the most part the underlying game and ease of modding is all thats needed, imo.

For example, Euro Truck Simulator has insane amounts of open world map content created by modders, but the underlying physics are pure crap for anything thats not a commercial truck. And games like Assetto Corsa have the same problem but backwards.. the physics are fine but the game can't handle open world maps well, so modders just make circuits and small point-to-point roads.

But if someone finally makes something that can load a TDU or Horizon sized map, have multiplayer, along with car mods that have good physics, and make it not a nightmare for modders to add content, then to me that's pretty much a guaranteed success in the making.. even if its a small indie project.

6. TDUZoqqer

TDUZoqqer whomst'd that

Looks promising so far. I only gonna judge the physics model as it was your main target.

First of all, I got the feel the suspension is too soft. According to what is visible from the outside view and bonnet view. Feels a bit too GTA4ish to me personally. I'm pretty sure the suspension of a 4 series is way firmer than the one on a Corvette C3 :)

Second, which is bothering me even more, for some reason the whole driving feels really slow. Looking at the speedo you going 130 at 6k rpm feels like you are in first gear driving 30. Had the same feel with TDU. I don't know why.

There are some graphics aspecs I would concider fixing, but it's not the time to point that out as it's an Alpha :)

E: 250 km/h in this Peugeot? :D This must have been a twin turbo mega sleeper

#26 TDUZoqqer, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited by TDUZoqqer: Oct 22, 2018
  7. The Actual D4N005H

Hi TDU Iceman,
    100% Agree with you, but for the part that you asked for map modding, I have to say it is not possible at the moment and it is not planned for the project. That is because Unity's current terrain system for big cities is like a raw fish, you have to "bake" it before using it - sorry if you're a vegetarian didn't have a better example at the moment. The process of baking a terrain is only possible in the game engine itself. I'm interested how EuroTruck Sim handles the modded cities, I have never heard of adding a full working city to a game - except GTA, which in that case it is not a simple task.

Hey Zoqqer :D
    Thanks for the feedback, I definitely take notes from it. However, There are important notes that I would like to tell:
    • The Nurburgring scene is completely different and is not part of the game, literally everything except the physics. Therefore please don't review the graphics. The graphics of the project was shown in the video before this one.
    • The cars were not 100% using the real-life values, the Peugeot car uses unrealistic values so that the video could look cool. I had the car - with its older Citroen-Peugeot engine - in real life, you can't go above 100 km/h with it...!
    Now I comment on each of the points that you've mentioned.
    1. You are right, the suspension looks too soft for the BMW. Because:
      1) I used arbitrary values - as I don't have the datasheets of the BMW suspension and I have never driven it in real life.
      2) I also cheated a little! I increased friction values - because I am a very bad driver :D - and more importantly, I used a pre-built camera script that I wrote for a firetruck, which caused the smooth movement illusion effect for the BMW scenes. Glad you noticed it!!
      I will fix it for the next time and I will use realistic suspension values once I could get their real values. I need the "K" and "delta" value of the spring suspension in order to fully simulate it in the project.

If anyone knows how could I get the suspension values (of any car) please enlight me!!.

2. That might be because of:
      1) the FOV (it is not wide angle when speeding),
      2) lack of motion blur (except one scene in the video, I forgot to add it to the other scenes!!),
      3) lack of camera and wheel shake at full rpm and also 4) lack of spicy fake noises.
      Other than that, the speed is simulated and it shows what the actual velocity is. I won't add fake camera vibrations as it is going to be VR at some point.

8. The Actual D4N005H

New video!
    • Suspension softness is fixed using better arbitrary values, you can judge the car body movement by the camera movement.
    • Tire settings are refined
    • Added "GoPro-ish mode" and changed camera pos for better speed expression
    • A new type of shifting gears added so you can use clutch and gears with a keyboard. This is not recommended as you release the clutch, the car may kick. That is because, a key in keyboard is either 0 or 1 and when you release the clutch key, it acts as a clutch kick which also causes clutch disk damage in long-term. This mode is only for manual cars - exactly like the original TDU game.
    • I used a keyboard, obviously for testing the new shifting gears mode.
    Dear GoPro may be you could be the sponsor... no? c'mon. :D

9. The Actual D4N005H

A new update to come next week Wednesday!
    Working on a Lamborghini physics based on the following websites:
    The problem is, Although these websites are detailed, they don't say anything about suspension spring rate or engine inertia or center differential specs or the other in-depth details. That means I have to watch Youtube reviews of cars so that I could use arbitrary values to mimic the realistic characteristics of the cars.

Some features including brake types, dual clutch transmissions and... are still not done.

ScreenShotScreenShot82.jpg
    (Neither the Lambo nor the track is made by me, None of them will be included in the video game)

10. The Actual D4N005H

Would be glad if you participate in the poll in this link.
    ScreenShotScreenShot83.jpg

@TDUZoqqer What do you think of this "GoPro Mode" that I have added? I designed it as you said you wanted to feel the speed more.

11. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Super Moderator
    tduck team

It's hard to comment on the physics with the go-pro mode, you really need to see the car moving around and how the suspension is moving and reacting to the environment. It would also help to get you a wheel to test with! lol

12. The Actual D4N005H

Thanks to everyone who commented on the tweet, This is the final color and scene for the Lambo test next week. :)
    ScreenShotScreenShot89.jpg

13. The Actual D4N005H

I wonder if one of the TurboDuck administrators or a very well-known TurboDuck member could open a "PayPal donation". That would be great.
    UPDATE: This request is no longer valid, And there is no donation for this project.

The current physics engine that I use for the project is based on something else. It - after lots of modifications - can simulate vehicle behavior pretty well. Yet, it is not structured well for comprehensive serious vehicle simulation.
    hence I want to use this advanced vehicle physics engine for the project. I don't have any money to buy that, and I currently can't set up a donation for it.
    UPDATE: This request is no longer valid, And there is no donation for this project.

14. The Actual D4N005H

• The new video to come this Sunday!!
      • The video demonstrates how easy the final project could be modified by the community
      • G-METER, Input debug and an additional camera added for physics showcase
      • The video includes a new car (Lamborghini) as per community request

15. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

I can confirm that I approved his request for indie game dev looking for project funding,
    however I don't have time myself to help him.

16. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Super Moderator
    tduck team

I think it would make sense to use a crowd-funding website so that the liability can be taken out of all our hands and the risk minimized due to the protections offered by such websites. I think people would be a lot more comfortable using the likes of Patreon than just sending money to a PayPal account that someone here owns.

Milli likes this.
  17. The Actual D4N005H

That is a good idea! The problem is, I can't access Patreon at the moment. I concluded I have to continue keeping this project as just a hobby.
    Kind regards.

18. The Actual D4N005H

Check out this video, it demonstrates how easy modding the project is.

19. Diablo

Diablo Administrator
    tduck team Admin

just curious, how did you get the voice

20. The Actual D4N005H

//New video!
    • What's New
      • The GoPro mode now directly supported, This mode is added for better feeling the speed as @TDUZoqqer suggested
      • You can see its current (temporary) physics engine in 3rd person view and it is with a wheel input as @TIMELESS suggested
      • Better graphics THIS IS NOT IMPORTANT AS THIS SCENE DOESN'T GRAPHICALLY SHOWS ATG: KISH.

Don't forget to check my previous post to see how easy modding the game is. I would be glad if you share your comment & support this project.
    _______________________________________________​
    Thanks for your comment, at least someone commented something :D Anyway, I use this TTS service. Guess this is the best and most natural one.

#40 The Actual D4N005H, Nov 14, 2018 at 8:39 AM
    Last edited by The Actual D4N005H: Nov 15, 2018 at 10:03 PM