View Poll Results: Dual-Core or Quad-Core?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dual-Core

7 35.00%
  • Quad-Core

13 65.00%

1. hpluls is offline Bogan Chariot Aficionado

Default Dual-Core or Quad-Core?

So, I'm buying a new comp soon. I'm keeping my graphics card, RAM and HDD. What I need is a new CPU, a new mobo that fits it and a new case that fits the mobo... But anyway, which am I better off buying: a dual-core or a quad-core? I read that a dual-core is in fact better for gaming than a quad-core... but that was a few months ago, and things might have changed. So, which should I buy?

2. BobbyV is offline insomniac

From what I've heard GTA likes 4 cpus more than 2. Anyhow I'm sure they will start making massive games for quad cores soon enough.

3. hpluls is offline Bogan Chariot Aficionado

LOL I don't play GTA... I want to play DiRT, Pro Street, Undercover, SEGA Rally and Juiced 2 (all of the aforementioned run like poo on my current system... 1GB RAM, Galaxy GeForce 8800GT and AMD Athlon 64 3000+)

4. KoenigseggBG is offline Made in 1994

The more...the best If you`re buying a comp to play games on, just buy the best available.

5. Speedtouch is offline I Wish I Was Special.

Quad core - but DO NOT go further than the Intel Q6600. Its relatively cheap, and can be overclocked to 3GHz pretty easily.

PhOTW Week 8 + 15 | PTOTW Week 1, 4 + 5

6. HavockJoker is offline PGR4 Master

Quad. Just get a Core i7 920. Its $300 US.

7. NitroBlueUK is offline Exoticar Driver

yea but be reasonable you have to think of budget and those things arent cheap neither are the motherboards and the bloody ddr3 prices are rediculous
    [imglink]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2800/signewbu2.jpg[/imglink]

Practice Safe Sex Go Screw Yourself!!!!

8. RB26DETT is offline Banned

go Quad, we're now in the age were we get to optimize all 4 cores.

core i7's are sweeeeeeeeeet!

9. Nodz86 is offline ____________

I've got a Quad and its good.

IIRC the new core i7's mobo's are only made to be able to run with DDR3 RAM so him choosing one of them would render his RAM obsolete

10. SLRRR is offline Ace

Quad

I have a Dual Core now (fast), but quad is much and much faster. Its perfect for Multitasking, Converting etc...

And for new Games it gets recommend, look at GTA IV

11. kalniel is offline Hypercar Enthusiast

Dual core gets you more bang for buck. Only in very poorly optimised titles such as GTAIV does quad make a difference - but it's possible that when they optimise them properly that difference will go away.

The situation may yet change (seems like it must eventually), but today, dual core is still the better choice.

12. Nipper is offline \/ The REAL TDUCk \/

I have no problems running GTA with dual core.

AMD ftw.
    ||||||||||||||||||
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

13. hpluls is offline Bogan Chariot Aficionado

LOL I see most of you would choose the quad... but I might go for a dual in fact. Right now I have this month's issue of a trustable PC gaming magazine in front of me, and there's a test of a bunch of different computers. It appears that one with an Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3GHz BOX is more efficient than one with all the same stuff (mobo, graphic card, RAM etc.) but a Core2 Quad Q9400 2,66 GHz BOX instead. And it's about 350 PLN cheaper. What do you think of it?

14. DriftNismo is offline 87 Civic GT

Depends on how much you want to spend, but at the moment Dual Cores are a hell of a lot better value for money than Quads. Quads are all well and good when you're always on very graphical programs (e.g. 3d rendering programs, or working with RAW files on Photoshop) but for gaming, photoshop and just general use, Duals work out a hell of a lot better for money right now.

Besides, I wouldn't trust Quads yet, I don't believe they've been out long enough to get all the problems sorted yet (even though I'm going for quads soon xD).

15. hpluls is offline Bogan Chariot Aficionado

I ordered an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 4x2.4 GHz 8MB BOX, hopefully it will be delivered before Xmas

16. KoenigseggBG is offline Made in 1994

Great for you...

17. MCiN7 is offline Drifter

I'd only get a quad if I was to do Producer stuff (3d modeling, video and audio editing ect)
    GTA IV is one game, that uses 4 cores, how about the rest?
    just get a decent duel core and it will be more then you will need for years to come.
    don't overclock it at the start and as time passes then overclock it.

18. hpluls is offline Bogan Chariot Aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by HappyTreeFriend »
    I ordered an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 4x2.4 GHz 8MB BOX, hopefully it will be delivered before Xmas
    IT ARRIVED!!!11 Along with an Asus P5Q Pro mobo... w00t Now I only need RAM to fit the motherboard

19. Nodz86 is offline ____________

cool, isnt that the same mobo that beem3r got??

20. macd79 is offline Chuck Norris

having just bought an E8400 then im going to vote dual-core 4GHz FTW

E8400 @ 4.34GHz | HD4870 @ 790/4400 | Corsair XMS2 4GB | Asus P5Q-E | Corsair 750W PSU | Antec 1200 | WD 320 SE16 | G25 | G15 | G9x |