Page 1 of 3 123 Last

1. T3hReaper91 is offline Car Aficianado

Exclamation Chatbox Killing The Need For A Forum?

As you all know there is a new addition to the website, you cant miss it you would have had to scroll past it to find this thread.

Anyway personally and i know im not alone but i think the chat box is a bad addition to the website.

Here are my reasons for this

• Forum Not As Active
    • It Just Gets Spammed
    • Not Moderated
    • Makes The Site Look Ugly

And many more small things.

The point of this thread is to gather your thoughts about the chat box and for you to see mine and other peoples opinions!

Thanks
    T3hReaper

CPU: AMD FX8350 x8 Black Edition 4.2Ghz O/C 4.6Ghz Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i GPU: 2x MSI Geforce GTX 770 Gaming Edition 4Gb SLI
    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2400Mhz Case: Corsair Graphite 600T Special Edition White
    OS: Windows 8.1 Pro Microphone: AT2020 Mouse: Logitech G9x Keyboard: Logitech G910

Youtube

2. Speed is offline Can You Feel It?

You can click the arrow so the chatbox doesn't appear you know?

3. T3hReaper91 is offline Car Aficianado

Quote Originally Posted by Speed »
    You can click the arrow so the chatbox doesn't appear you know?
    still dosent help the fact that in my opinion its slowly killing the forum part of the website

CPU: AMD FX8350 x8 Black Edition 4.2Ghz O/C 4.6Ghz Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i GPU: 2x MSI Geforce GTX 770 Gaming Edition 4Gb SLI
    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2400Mhz Case: Corsair Graphite 600T Special Edition White
    OS: Windows 8.1 Pro Microphone: AT2020 Mouse: Logitech G9x Keyboard: Logitech G910

Youtube

4. t.
    t. is offline Retired

Give it a chance its only been up 24 hours. It isn't going to stop me from posting in threads. Everything in it is casual nonsense that has no place in a thread anyway.

flickr
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadMetis »
    Then I woke up in France...

5. Andreas¹ is offline Crazy Duck

I don't really think anything happened to the activity on the forum itself...

6. T3hReaper91 is offline Car Aficianado

well think what u think...

ive seen a massive drop in the forum activity the past day and i know im not alone the way i feel about it being there

Youtube

7. Speed is offline Can You Feel It?

Maybe if the chat box was at the bottom of the index instead of the top, then people would have to scoll past the threads to get to it?

8. t.
    t. is offline Retired

I'm sure you're not alone. I'm just saying give it more of a chance, the novelty of it will soon wear off. Everyone is entitled to an opinion are they not?
    Last edited by t.; 13/09/08 at 01:32 AM.

flickr
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadMetis »
    Then I woke up in France...

9. Mb
    Mb is offline The Photographer

I don't look at it.
    It's to much nonsense for me.

It doesn't matter how much horsepower your car has, it's about the smile on your face when you drive it.

10. 560BHP is offline Im not here

Quote Originally Posted by Speed »
    Maybe if the chat box was at the bottom of the index instead of the top, then people would have to scoll past the threads to get to it?

thats a great idea
    Returning from the dead!

PotW #30 winner!
    But what is the point of writing things here when im barely online...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MatchBreakers

11. RB26DETT is offline Banned

add some rules

* only post one sentence at a time, no double posting
    * don't say lol, rofl, XD in one line, include it in your message
    * no swearing
    * only talk about hair products.

12. HavockJoker is offline PGR4 Master

idc honestly.

EDIT: lol 1111 posts. woah Deja Vu

13. hesonly5 is offline Hungry Hungry Hippos! :D

^ How are you getting Deja Vu? xD That's weird as we've never had a chat box before, and you haven't had 1111 posts before

Anyways... I can't see it killing the forum. It may do a little at first, but give it chance to let the novelty wear off. It's not stopping me using the forum, and it doesn't appear to be stopping anyone else. Also keep in mind that the forum goes through fluctuations in activity anyways, the Modding has slowed down at little at the moment, people are back at work/school and there's a bloody HUGE spider crawling up my curtains right now O_O

Anyways, you can't say that the shoutbox is the sole reason for lowering activity in the forum yet.

14. Nodz86 is offline ____________

Well I do and don't like it.

I like as it will hopefully stop threads from being spammed and people can chat and go OT in the chat room rather than in a thread. It will also get people talking to forum members they don't normally talk to.

The only thing I have against it is as soon as you log in you can see it, personally I think there should only be a link to it so then you can read the forum then go there instead of being drawn into convo before checkin the forum.

But atm it seems to be good, its only been here for just over a day now. As for the moderating of it, I guess there is someone on most of the time and if there is not anything that has breached rules is in the archive and as long as people report others for breaching rules, being offensive etc it should work aswell as the main forum.

Just my thoughts

15. Iced_Bullet is offline Cheese=Milk's Death Route

The only way to see if it is dropping our forum activity, is for The Egg to post screen shots of daily post numbers ... of the last 3/4 days.
    Life is good. Simples. Cccchhhhh.

16. Nodz86 is offline ____________

tbh, I dont think chat box is killing the forum as yesterday we had over 200 members vist and a stupid amount of unregistered visits. So forum activity is not down, just posting is and lets be honest one minute its full of posts and the next its quiet, it has its ups and downs. And this chatbox thing is like the myspace type thing on here aswell, everyone uses it for the first few weeks then it dies down.

17. MCW
    MCW is offline MCW

I don't know what it is....

18. Nodz86 is offline ____________

Quote Originally Posted by RamboMC »
    I don't know what it is....
    Do you look at the 1st page of the forum??? lol

http://forum.tdu-central.com/misc.php?do=cchatbox

19. Microphone is offline #Myk2016

Im sorry to be negative T3hReaper, but your one of the only ones that spams it... "Please check out my video thread..." every 5 minutes *yawns*

This is always the problem with Chatboxes, but i think the only place it will take activity from is the bin and part of general chat, which, isnt too bad, people will still go to the mods section etc

Absolutely the most super of all the non-super moderators Your friendly community moderator.

20. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

I have been keeping tabs on this and to be honest it is the same people who are using the Chatbox as a Chat. Myself and many others jump in have a banter and then leave and do other things, as well as refresh the forum and watch the post count to see if any threads need checking or responded too, this is where I think some people especially the regulars are being lax.

They sit on the chatbox and that's it, they don't check out the activity on the forum and post in threads as the chatbox is full of others like them doing the same thing. As for activity it's still strong, you just might not notice it due to the posts being made in the chatbox. Trust me you'll see the usual suspects in the chatbox, the other members still jump in and have a shout but they also participate around the forum frequently.
    I'm a bit mental.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last