1. Nodz86 is offline ____________

Default Beijing Olympic Fireworks Fake

Olympic Fireworks Faked For TV

By Sky News SkyNews - Monday, August 11 01:25 pm
    Parts of the spectacular Beijing Olympics opening ceremony were faked, it has emerged.
    The global television audience of more than three billion people watched in amazement as a series of giant footprints outlined in fireworks proceeded through the night sky from Tiananmen Square to the Bird's Nest stadium - except they were watching a computer animation.
    Even the giant television screens within the stadium itself broadcast the fake images.
    Stunned viewers thought they were watching the string of fireworks filmed from above by a helicopter.
    But in reality they were watching a 3D graphics sequence that took almost a year to produce.
    It even included a 'camera shake' to mimic the effect of filming from a helicopter.
    The dupe was revealed by China's Beijing Times. Speaking to the paper, the man responsible for the animation said he was pleased with the result.
    "Seeing how it worked out, it was still a bit too bright compared to the actual fireworks," Gao Xiaolong told the newspaper.
    "But most of the audience thought it was filmed live - so that was mission accomplished."
    The designers even added some haziness to simulate the polluted Beijing skyline.
    Broadcasters around the world had no choice but to show the footage because it all came from one feed provided by Beijing Olympic Broadcasting - the organisation responsible for filming the games.
    The ceremony has also been strongly criticised by architect Ai Weiwei, who helped design the Bird's Nest stadium.
    Writing on his blog, Mr Ai described the ceremony as "a recycling of the rubbish of fake classical culture tradition; a sacrilegious visual garbage dump and an insult to the spirit of liberty; low class sound play that's just noise pollution".
    He was directly critical of China's ruling communist party, characterising the ceremony as "a showcase of the reincarnation of the Marxist imperialism; the ultimate paragon of an all embracing culture of fascist totalitarianism; an encyclopaedia that encompasses total defeat in intellectual spirit."
    Mr Ai helped design the stadium alongside Swiss architect firm, Herzog and de Meuron.
    But since then, he has become an outspoken blogger against the Olympics and the Chinese regime. Unusually, he has not been censored by the authorities.
    Organiser said that the footprint fireworks were there for real, but thought it unsafe to try to film them - so they recreated them instead.

From Sky News

2. Mb
    Mb is offline The Photographer

Chinese are Epic Failurz.

It doesn't matter how much horsepower your car has, it's about the smile on your face when you drive it.

3. RamseyOfficial is offline .:The Official:.

wow, thats some good work they did. but i think if the fireworks where to be real. it would have been unsafe for the majority of the people sitting down in the stadium.

4. KoenigseggBG is offline Made in 1994

They`ve tricked us as they alwasys do. *start hating china man*

5. HavockJoker is offline PGR4 Master

Dude my mom loved it, Now that I tell that it was fake she would be disappointed.

China Failz

6. KoenigseggBG is offline Made in 1994

Yeah, my dad did, too. I won`t tell him but I`m sure that the news will spread quickly. :P

7. Andreas¹ is offline Crazy Duck

I dunno what footprints they are talking about, I didn't watch all of it

8. Pherelas is offline I'm Going Slightly mad

I got bored in the drums bit and watched top gear instead
    -----
    [imglink]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/pherelas/SigCustom.jpg[/imglink]
    . . . . . . Why is it always a wrong number, what if there in the wrong house? . . . . . . .

9. Nige is offline Buy American ....

WOW

I was fooled, but fairplay all that hardwork payed off.

London 2012 Organisers take note.
    Canada 2010 Ice Hockey Winter Olympic Gold Medal winners!

10. zo6dude is offline Like My Tail Lights?

WOW how unbelieveable

"Real men know how to turn right"
    - Me

11. RB26DETT is offline Banned

meh. not really bothered that it 's fake considering they were cautious about safety especially the people up in the helicopters.

12. Fridge Magnet Rabbit is offline Manchester Racer Kid

Quote Originally Posted by nige7 »
    London 2012 Organisers take note.
    what about the millenium fireworks in London? half of them failed, lets hope it doesnt happen in 2012
    Nugget of the week: week 27!!
    1x Winner of 'What car is this?'
    TDU1: Paltala
    TDU2: Paltala
    TDU2 Forums: Paltala
    Recurring Theme much? :P

13. Nodz86 is offline ____________

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer »
    what about the millenium fireworks in London? half of them failed, lets hope it doesnt happen in 2012

But theres a difference between faliure and faking. At least they tried to do it unlike China

14. Baltoman is offline Baby Vipah :D

I knew it, I just knew it. Seriously. When I first saw it, I thought: "Cool animation" then when thy said it was real, I was just like: "Yeah right idiots". Im telling my mommy. xD

15. Speedtouch is offline I Wish I Was Special.

And now this:

A pretty girl who won national fame after singing at the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games was only miming.
    Wearing a red dress and pigtails, Lin Miaoke charmed a worldwide audience with a rendition of "Ode to the Motherland".
    But the singer was Yang Peiyi, who was not allowed to appear because she is not as "flawless" as nine-year-old Lin.
    The show's musical director said Lin was used because it was in the best interests of the country.
    Source

I identified both of these when I saw them. The fireworks were so obvious it was unbelievable that China would fake something like this, and it was clear that the girl was miming. I was the same as Balto.

PhOTW Week 8 + 15 | PTOTW Week 1, 4 + 5

Search Tags

beijing
fake
fireworks
olympic