1. Speedtouch is offline I Wish I Was Special.

Default Squashing Cars

So on request I have done a second one! This time to do with photoshop , not photography.

This tutorial is to show you how to create images like this:

The car appears shorter than normal, however the wheels are normal, creating a toon-like effect.

Right then, lets begin. First choose your image. Preferably from the side, as that is easiest. The more off centre your image is the harder it will be. I may extend this tutorial later to include images which are not at all sideways, as they are much harder, but lets begin with the simple (and very easy) initial method.

1) Copy The Wheels!

Here is my chosen image, opened up in Photoshop.

Use the 'elliptical marquee tool' and click and drag a circle around the wheels. You want to try and include the flared wheelarches if there are some, but having a bit of wheelarch on these layers helps a bit later on. Remember, if your picture has a reflection in the ground (like the R8 at the top), select the reflection of each wheel as well, so when you sort it all out later, the wheels in the reflection aren't squashed.

Once you have selected them (do each wheel separately!!), Ctrl C (copy) and Ctrl V (paste), making them into new layers (do not use Ctrl X (cut)!!!!) Keep the two wheels as separate layers, then make them invisible (by clicking on the eye symbol next to it - red box)

Then use the free transform tool to literally squash the car (not too much, remember to leave space for the wheels). If you squash it too little, it won't look good enough, and too much, and there will be no gap between the wheels, making it look stupid. We want to keep it looking slightly believable.

Then you just make the layers visible again, and move them to the areas. Use free transform, skew, and distort (and some others if you wish) to make it fit as best as possible. Don't worry about rough edges too much here, just try and line it all up. And a good tip here, especially on fast cars, is to make the rear wheel slightly larger than the front, becaus it looks cooler.

Once you have done that, you can now use the 'polygonal lasso tool' to cut out parts of the wheelarches to make it not have two non-lining up panel gaps on the car and stuff like that. Spend some time here, as this is where you make it look believable. Use all the tools you like to shape, cut and move it into perfection. Don't forget all the shadows and road as well. That can have a big effect too.

So once you've done that, merge all the layers and save it.

My final product from here:

Last edited by Speedtouch; 08/07/08 at 21:37 PM.

PhOTW Week 8 + 15 | PTOTW Week 1, 4 + 5

2. Andreas¹ is offline Crazy Duck

Woop, great +rep
    Will try once I get hold of the other PC with Photoshop on :P

3. EW
    EW is offline Knee Down

any good ????
    Woodruff-IT
    Shinny Side Up

4. Speedtouch is offline I Wish I Was Special.

^ Yes very! But that reminds me of one thing I forgot to mention!!!

Update:
    Remember, if your picture has a reflection in the ground (like the R8 at the top), select the reflection of each wheel as well, so when you sort it all out later, the wheels in the reflection aren't squashed.

PhOTW Week 8 + 15 | PTOTW Week 1, 4 + 5

5. hesonly5 is offline Hungry Hungry Hippos! :D

Ahh! I think I love you, this is so cool! Do you mind if I post this on Flux (with full credit, obv).

Or! even better - you sign up and post it yourself

Shameless advertising FTW!

EDIT: This is so cool!

First Attempt...

And I know this one's a crap Photoshop, but it's late at night and I cba to make it look better, but it needed doing xD
    Last edited by hesonly5; 08/07/08 at 22:44 PM.

6. T3hReaper91 is offline Car Aficianado

Orriginal Image:

New Image:

7. Mb
    Mb is offline The Photographer

Before:

After:

It doesn't matter how much horsepower your car has, it's about the smile on your face when you drive it.

8. T3hReaper91 is offline Car Aficianado

9. RB26DETT is offline Banned

+rep speedtouch

10. Andreas¹ is offline Crazy Duck

Randy, is that Smart really squashed? XD

11. macd79 is offline Chuck Norris

mines

E8400 @ 4.34GHz | HD4870 @ 790/4400 | Corsair XMS2 4GB | Asus P5Q-E | Corsair 750W PSU | Antec 1200 | WD 320 SE16 | G25 | G15 | G9x |

12. Andreas¹ is offline Crazy Duck

Wow that is a very good one

13. -Lr-SpeedraceR is offline Car Aficianado

I really don't like the squashing car photoshoping ^^

14. Turkey Twizzler is offline Exoticar Driver

Think it came out rather well
    Last edited by Turkey Twizzler; 25/07/08 at 12:36 PM.

15. Dan G is offline Cars in mirror are losing

here we go

forgot the reflections

16. T1M
    T1M is offline ♥ MX-5 ♥

Thats epic work Dan!

17. Jazzi is offline Spongehhhhh <33 xxx

18. KoenigseggBG is offline Made in 1994

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer »
    here we go

forgot the reflections
    Nice for a first try but pay more attention to detais. For example, the back door's line ends up in nowhere and there are parts on both arches that should be cropped and etc. In fact it takes more time fitting the tires, making them look like a part of the car, than squashing the car.