Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Nodz86 is offline ____________

Default MS wants to be first out of the gate with Xbox 720

MS wants to be first out of the gate with Xbox 720

Posted Jun 16th 2008 4:15PM by Dustin Burg
    Filed under: News, Console wars

Talking with VentureBeat, Xbox 360 boss Robbie Bach chatted about where the Xbox brand is headed next generation, reconfirming their plan to be the first out of the console release gate once again. "If you take the question of whether it was the right thing to try to be first [with Xbox 360], the answer to that is definitely yes" Bach told VentureBeat, "it has given us a leg up with game developers. It has given us a leg up from an economics perspective. It helped us expand Xbox Live quickly. At a strategy level, if you asked if we wanted to be first again, I would say yes." Plain and simple. Then again, trying to beat the PS4 to market won't be all that hard for Microsoft seeing that Sony has publicly announced their plans to make it a ten year console. Right? Xbox 720 in 2011, bring it on!

Source

2. t.
    t. is offline Retired

So they want to be first into the market. Does that come as shock?

flickr
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadMetis »
    Then I woke up in France...

3. Nodz86 is offline ____________

Quote Originally Posted by tWm. »
    So they want to be first into the market. Does that come as shock?

Considering the problems they have had with the 360 I thought they may have took some more time to produce the next gen as PS reckons the PS3 is a ten year console which gives them even more time.

4. t.
    t. is offline Retired

Yeah. But they got away with releasing a shoddy console and cornering the market early on. If they do the same again they will have longer to build up a lead. To be honest they have to be early because the product isn't likely to be as good as Sony's response. Either way I'm glad to see the 360 is likely to be getting a longer life than the original Xbox.

flickr
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadMetis »
    Then I woke up in France...

5. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

Now here's an interesting thing, if Xbox 720 does come out it's going to be a lot more than the PS3 and developers are going to keep to the larger install base plus the next gen will have a new type of GPU meaning that it will more than likely be "develop for one or the other".
    I'm a bit mental.

6. Camel is offline Legendary Classic

As long as it can match the looks and performance on my current PC at the time of the release I will be happy

7. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

In fact if they are looking to release in that time then they have to go with Blu-ray will they not?
    I'm a bit mental.

8. Nodz86 is offline ____________

Dunno, whats the next thing after Blu Ray that Dodgem (i think it is) keeps on about??

9. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

There's Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) but it's not really been heard of since first prototypes were shown about 2-3 years ago. Plus remember that BD (Blu-ray) is already upto 200Gb and predictions are already on about quad-layered or even octo-layered I think.
    I'm a bit mental.

10. Nodz86 is offline ____________

Thats alot of space, imagine the amount of cars and tracks you could have on that

11. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

Hitachi has already made a 100Gb 4-layered BD that they have tested and believe could simply be used by all current players with a simple firmware upgrade. MGS4 uses a 50Gb Dual-layer BD at the moment.

As for amount of content it depends on the resolution and quality of the models, I mean think about us now at 1080, Japan is already playing with 2160P and there is an even higher standard coming out very very shortly again!

[e:] It's called Super Hi-Vision and has a resolution of 7680x4320!!

I'm a bit mental.

12. Microphone is offline #Myk2016

definately an interesting Topic, If the ps3 is a 10 year thing, why dont they spend more time on this 720

Absolutely the most super of all the non-super moderators Your friendly community moderator.

13. Nodz86 is offline ____________

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo »
    Hitachi has already made a 100Gb 4-layered BD that they have tested and believe could simply be used by all current players with a simple firmware upgrade. MGS4 uses a 50Gb Dual-layer BD at the moment.

As for amount of content it depends on the resolution and quality of the models, I mean think about us now at 1080, Japan is already playing with 2160P and there is an even higher standard coming out very very shortly again!

[e:] It's called Super-Hi Vision and has a resolution of 7680x4320!!

I bought my TV thinking they wont up it from full/True HD (1920x1080p) for a while but they are. You can't buy nothing without it going out of date a week later.

Thats good but to be honest I doubt they would up the res as the machines don't output inpast full/true HD and I don't think you could update them with a firmware upgrade so I think more content is the way it may go.
    Last edited by Nodz86; 17/06/08 at 17:14 PM.

14. Camel is offline Legendary Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Nodz86 »
    I bought my TV thinking they wont up it from full/True HD (1080x720) for a while but they are. You can't buy nothing without it going out of date a week later.
    Full HD on TV's now is 1920x1080 and i don't see the point in upping the resolution for TV's because i see no difference between 1360x768 and 1920x1080 when playing games or watching HD videos

15. Nodz86 is offline ____________

Quote Originally Posted by mellors »
    Full HD on TV's now is 1920x1080 and i don't see the point in upping the resolution for TV's because i see no difference between 1360x768 and 1920x1080 when playing games or watching HD videos
    Thats what I ment 1920x1080p

16. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

4096P is next after next btw, here's a still. lol

http://www.red.com/skin/img/gallery-still/012916.jpg (6Mb+)

Apparently some movie theatres and film studios are using these already. So who knows we might skip 2160P and move straight to 4xxxP. lol
    I'm a bit mental.

17. Nodz86 is offline ____________

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo »
    4096P is next after next btw, here's a still. lol

http://www.red.com/skin/img/gallery-still/012916.jpg (6Mb+)

Apparently some movie theatres and film studios are using these already. So who knows we might skip 2160P and move straight to 4xxxP. lol
    I officially give up trying to keep up with technology.

That pic looks the nuts
    Last edited by Nodz86; 17/06/08 at 17:37 PM.

18. Who
    Who is offline It's not a tumor.

yeah, its me that keeps going on about HVD, realistically though, that is a long way off, i think its summit stupid like 120 a disk and 10,000 for a player at the moment, well, it was in 2005 (working off memory, don't hate me if i am talking rubbish!)

no idea of recent developments, HVD is on the market, in 300gb versions, but only industrially

either way, you cant really bank on it happening, who needs multiple terrabytes, when this generation can live on 10 gigabytes (360's DVD9). PS3 disks are filled mainly by re-writing files and textures to compensate for the relatively slow read speeds on these early generation BD-drives.

a fast reading BD-drive capable of a few hundred gigs will do fine for the next gen methinks
    Formerly Crazed Dodgem/Lwsbrck

I'm not dead!

19. HavockJoker is offline PGR4 Master

Just to say the "Xbox 720" the name is mad cheesy.

We will have to just wait and see. I'm not hyped up one bit.

20. EW
    EW is offline Knee Down

I don't mind about xbox beating sony at the end of the day im a loyal customer and i wont be switchin over. However if they make another poor quaility xbox i will throw it out the ruddy window.

sorry for the anger just got RRoD. GARH
    Woodruff-IT
    Shinny Side Up

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Search Tags

microsoft
xbox