Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. khevolution is offline Most likely To Hit a Tree
     
    Location: Brighton, UK
    Posts: 1,030

    #1

    Default New PC questions

    hey its another one of those " what do you think of my pc specs threads" (groans), but seriously coming from a complete PC n00b your opinions would be appreciated

    now seeing as my last PC has just died on my after owning it for about 6 years i've decided to buy a new one

    here is some spec of the one i've just bought just wanting your opinions on whether it will be good for my extensive music/photo/video collection, general internet browsing with the odd couple of games thrown in as well ( all to highest spec of course)

    Proseccor
    E8500 Core 2 Duo Processor (3.16GHz, 6MB, 1333MHz)
    Memory
    4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
    Video Card
    512MB ATI® Radeon® 3870 Graphics card

    Hard Drive
    500GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA/100 Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst™ cache
    Microsoft Operating System
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English

    CD/DVD Drives
    DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)

    Sound Cards
    Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio
    TV Tuner and Remote Control
    TV Tuner and AVIO / Accellerator


  2. S71NG3R is offline Car Aficianado
     
    Location: UK
    Posts: 2,478

    #2

    Default

    Good specs I'm sure most games will run well. Crysis is the PC killer so that's the only one I can think you can't run very high.
    ---------------------------------
    TDUC PC Club find out more and how to join|Twitter @TDUCentralClub

  3. macd79 is offline Chuck Norris
    Location: Glasgow, Scotland.
    Posts: 531

    #3

    Default

    that looks good apart from vista but thats always the letdown - microsoft- whats the price of that then?

    E8400 @ 4.34GHz | HD4870 @ 790/4400 | Corsair XMS2 4GB | Asus P5Q-E | Corsair 750W PSU | Antec 1200 | WD 320 SE16 | G25 | G15 | G9x |

  4. ExplosiveGoats is offline Car Aficianado
     
    Location: New York
    Posts: 1,736

    #4

    Default

    Should run games fairly well


  5. khevolution is offline Most likely To Hit a Tree
     
    Location: Brighton, UK
    Posts: 1,030

    #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macd79 »
    that looks good apart from vista but thats always the letdown - microsoft- whats the price of that then?
    don't ask, thats one figure i'd rather forget

  6. The Queen is offline <3 Ferrari F50
     
    Location: Dundee, Scotland
    Posts: 5,220

    #6

    Default

    Isn't Vista supposed to be going to be no more soon?

    Why go ATI btw? Just curious as Nvidia are so much better!

    All the other things look good though

  7. Camel is offline Legendary Classic
      
    Posts: 11,510

    #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheScottishSpotter »
    Isn't Vista supposed to be going to be no more soon?

    Why go ATI btw? Just curious as Nvidia are so much better!

    All the other things look good though

    The PC he is getting couldn't have nvidia and im on my computer that I just built and I have only had 1 problem woop woop

  8. RB26DETT is offline Banned
    Location: Manila, Philippines
    Posts: 5,389

    #8

    Default

    OMG!!! E8500!!!! sweet rig khevo! :eek_blue:

    i give it a 9/10!

    -1 because of ATi.

    *awaits Randy to whack me in the head...*

  9. hesonly5 is offline Hungry Hungry Hippos! :D
     
    Location: UK
    Posts: 2,983

    #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macd79 »
    that looks good apart from vista but thats always the letdown - microsoft- whats the price of that then?
    Vista is much more stable than XP from my experiences, it's never once crashed on me, and is much easier to use than XP

    Quote Originally Posted by TheScottishSpotter »
    Isn't Vista supposed to be going to be no more soon?
    No, Microsoft is sticking with Vista, people are buying it. Windows Seven appears to be coming out quicker than expected though.

    Quote Originally Posted by RB26DETT »
    OMG!!! E8500!!!! sweet rig khevo! :eek_blue:

    i give it a 9/10!

    -1 because of ATi.

    *awaits Randy to whack me in the head...*
    I don't understand graphics cards, so I stay out of the ATi/nVidia row. But I'll never miss a chance to hit you *uber-whack*

    BTW, khevo - make sure you get the right type of RAM (probably GDDR3 or GDDR4) on your graphics cars, ATi have a nasty habit of doing loads of different versions of a card with exactly the same name

  10. RB26DETT is offline Banned
    Location: Manila, Philippines
    Posts: 5,389

    #10

    Default

    randy's right about the memory. get the gddr4 if possible.

    isn't windows seven the codename for vienna? anyway, it's still the upcoming one. 2009 me thinks??? iono...

    *smacks randy just for the heck of it.* :P

  11. hesonly5 is offline Hungry Hungry Hippos! :D
     
    Location: UK
    Posts: 2,983

    #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RB26DETT »
    isn't windows seven the codename for vienna? anyway, it's still the upcoming one. 2009 me thinks??? iono...
    Nobody really knows what it's going to be called yet, but yes, the internal codename for the next version of Windows is 'Seven'. It was originally a lot later (around 2012, me thinks), but it has been brought forward a couple of years due to the bad response to Vista. I can't imagine it being next year, I'd say closer to 2010.

    Quote Originally Posted by RB26DETT »
    *smacks randy just for the heck of it.* :P
    Bah! *rummages around for baseball bat*

  12. RB26DETT is offline Banned
    Location: Manila, Philippines
    Posts: 5,389

    #12

    Default

    i read on the internet somewhere. 2009-2011 may be the release date iirc from what i read.

    no you dont! "goes to the garage, hops in the car, drives all the way to the UK to run over Randy.*

  13. hesonly5 is offline Hungry Hungry Hippos! :D
     
    Location: UK
    Posts: 2,983

    #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RB26DETT »
    i read on the internet somewhere. 2009-2011 may be the release date iirc from what i read.
    Ya, that would be about right

    Quote Originally Posted by RB26DETT »
    no you dont! "goes to the garage, hops in the car, drives all the way to the UK to run over Randy.*
    halp meh someone

  14. Microphone is offline #Myk2016
       
    Location: England
    Posts: 7,950

    #14

    Default

    Ill save You Randy!

    if its coming 2009-2011 should we start seeing a few Features and Screenshots soon?

    Absolutely the most super of all the non-super moderators Your friendly community moderator.

  15. RB26DETT is offline Banned
    Location: Manila, Philippines
    Posts: 5,389

    #15

    Default

    there are a couple on wikipedia from the beta testing. only a few new features mentioned though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

    from another forum. really familiar to vista.
    http://forums.it-suite.net/index.php/topic,210.0.html

    possible screenshots??? i like these ones though
    http://apcmag.com/inside_windows_7__...now_so_far.htm

  16. Microphone is offline #Myk2016
       
    Location: England
    Posts: 7,950

    #16

    Default

    Yes that last links screen shot looked awesome, a bit like the mac but it still looks cool

    Absolutely the most super of all the non-super moderators Your friendly community moderator.

  17. hesonly5 is offline Hungry Hungry Hippos! :D
     
    Location: UK
    Posts: 2,983

    #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RB26DETT »
    there are a couple on wikipedia from the beta testing. only a few new features mentioned though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7
    Usually Wikipedia ain't that bad, but I deffo wouldn't believe on this...

    Quote Originally Posted by RB26DETT »
    from another forum. really familiar to vista.
    http://forums.it-suite.net/index.php/topic,210.0.html
    They're the ones, remember it's only early days so there won't be many visual changes.

    More here - [link] [link]

    Quote Originally Posted by RB26DETT »
    possible screenshots??? i like these ones though
    http://apcmag.com/inside_windows_7__...now_so_far.htm
    Bah, that's a load of mockups in Photoshop.

  18. RB26DETT is offline Banned
    Location: Manila, Philippines
    Posts: 5,389

    #18

    Default

    lol. or they could've used those GUI modding tools.

  19. Speedtouch is offline I Wish I Was Special.
    Location: England
    Posts: 1,402

    #19

    Default

    Overall, pretty good, it certainly will hold out for a couple of years without any additional stuff.

    Processor: I wouldn't have got that one, personally I would have gone for the Intel Q6600 (2.4GHz, Quad Core). There aren't any compatibility issues (some people have thought that), and you get in effect 4 processors instead of 2 (even though the dual core ones have more power (3.16GHz), there are only 2 of them meaning total you get more from the Quad).

    RAM: 4GB: Futureproof for ages to go yet. That will be the last thing you need to replace.

    GFX: ATI is a different way to go with nVidia dominating atm, but it will do well. I would have gone with an nVidia 8800GT, as they are coming down in price, will do just as well, and love to be overclocked.

    The Rest: All fine, I would be happy with Vista, so don't worry.

    PhOTW Week 8 + 15 | PTOTW Week 1, 4 + 5

  20. khevolution is offline Most likely To Hit a Tree
     
    Location: Brighton, UK
    Posts: 1,030

    #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedtouch »
    Overall, pretty good, it certainly will hold out for a couple of years without any additional stuff.

    Processor: I wouldn't have got that one, personally I would have gone for the Intel Q6600 (2.4GHz, Quad Core). There aren't any compatibility issues (some people have thought that), and you get in effect 4 processors instead of 2 (even though the dual core ones have more power (3.16GHz), there are only 2 of them meaning total you get more from the Quad).

    RAM: 4GB: Futureproof for ages to go yet. That will be the last thing you need to replace.

    GFX: ATI is a different way to go with nVidia dominating atm, but it will do well. I would have gone with an nVidia 8800GT, as they are coming down in price, will do just as well, and love to be overclocked.

    The Rest: All fine, I would be happy with Vista, so don't worry.
    cheers for all you reply's no matter how off topic. might upgrade the graphics card later on in its life, but for now i can't wait for it all to be delieved


 
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

about us

  • turboduck is a community that is dedicated to driving and racing games of all types on all platforms. Whether it's ticking off the miles/kilometres while exploring an open world, crashing and exploding everything in an insane balls-to-the-wall arcade racer, or nailing down every apex and trimming off every tenth possible in authentic sim-racing. It's all up for discussion as we enjoy the virtual cars, bikes, and everything else that these games offer. So join us, jump into the discussions, and don't think too much about why a 'duck' is our mascot. ;)
turboduck twitter turboduck facebook turboduck youtube turboduck twitter turboduck rss