Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

1. jbenekeorr is offline Owns 3500GT named Gillian

Angry Internet Speed

Hi, I know there's been a lot of 'hoo ha' about people not getting the internet speed they are promised.
    Now for my moan - I am on Tiscali UP TO 8 Megabit Broadband but as usual I dont get that .. I have just done a speed test to see that it is truly appaling. Obviously It is needed for games like TDU so I dont lag terribly.

Could anyone else tell me how theirs is doing in relation to the speed they COULD get?

EDIT:: I just did another and it's even worse!!
    Last edited by jbenekeorr; 06/05/08 at 19:40 PM.
    TDU:::Rank-Champion:::Completion-80%
    My Life = My Computer, My Car, My G25, My PS3 - Oh dear that sounds really sad
    Note To Self : Hang out washing, Get Milk, Get Life

2. Iced_Bullet is offline Cheese=Milk's Death Route

w00t!

Life is good. Simples. Cccchhhhh.

3. t.
    t. is offline Retired

Yea I'm up to 16mb with sky, I ran the BT line test and it appears to be that my phone line is crap, hence why i only get 1-2mb, similar speeds to you. I could go Virgin on the fibre optics which would mean I could have 20Mb but it costs a bit too much for me. Check the line test I linked above to see if its your line that limits you. If you know the landlines of anyone else in your road try them too, as some people on my street come out as 4MB where as I'm only 2MB.

@ Iced, have you adjusted the settings on the site or do you really download at 4.2MB a second? (40MB Connection) I'm guessing you get 420Kb/s. (4MB connection)

It might be displaying in bits not bytes or some shizz, Or you could just be rich and live in a good area. Meh I dunno this nonsense confuses me.
    Last edited by t.; 06/05/08 at 20:12 PM.

flickr
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadMetis »
    Then I woke up in France...

4. Iced_Bullet is offline Cheese=Milk's Death Route

Quote Originally Posted by tWm. »
    @ Iced, have you adjusted the settings on the site or do you really download at 4.2MB a second? (40MB Connection) I'm guessing you get 420Kb/s. (4MB connection)

It might be displaying in bits not bytes or some shizz, Or you could just be rich and live in a good area. Meh I dunno this nonsense confuses me.
    What Settings?
    Life is good. Simples. Cccchhhhh.

5. t.
    t. is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Iced_Bullet »
    What Settings?
    They way it displays it, I remember my brother using that site and trying to tell me we had a 20MB connection when we really really don't. In options you can change it, after you run the test perhaps. I cant remember exactly. (Yea I'm useful huh?)

Or like I said it could be fine and you just have a -super- connection.

...anyway we don't need everyone showing of how fast their net goes, back on topic.. the internet sucks in my area and obviously his too.

EDIT: Yea once you have run the test, click the see my previous test and change site preferences text that is to the right, click download, and change units to kilobytes not kilobits.

*sigh* one day maybe I will pay for Virgin, lol.

And whoa, jbenekeorr. Now you have changed the units.... damn. Has it always been that slow? I think you should call Tiscali.
    Last edited by t.; 06/05/08 at 20:30 PM.

flickr

6. ScaR is offline Speed Racer

Is this cable or dsl or what?
    Maybe ring their tech support.
    mine is now half as fast as when I lived in the city :\ (uploads are less than 1/3 of the speed of what it used to be )

7. t.
    t. is offline Retired

@ ScaR they are still pretty nice speeds to be honest. Something that has bugged me a lot, my download is like 200kB, yet my upload is 77kB. It's always been this way. Means I don't lag on LIVE I suppose.

flickr

8. Camel is offline Legendary Classic

It seems to be some confusion about this. When you download of the internet most website say their file is in Kilobytes when in fact it isn't, it is in Kilobits.

There are 8 Kilobits(Kb) in a Kilobyte(KB). So there is a huge difference and most people tend to measure in Kilobits as it is more accurate. The same goes for Megabits(Mb) and Megabytes(MB)

The most important things for gaming is the ping(lower the better) and the upload(higher the better). when playing, the best thing to do is make sure you have about 50Kb/s per person that you connect to and vise versa and there should be no lag.

Hope that helped you and didn't confuse you more.

May as well post mine. We are paying for the upto 20MB connection which should give us upto 20,480Kb/s download and upto 1,638Kb/s upload but O2 seem to of gone a bit wrong and took the limit of our line.

UK

Australia

9. Microphone is offline #Myk2016

Alot better than i expected!

The next one surprised me!

Absolutely the most super of all the non-super moderators Your friendly community moderator.

10. t.
    t. is offline Retired

Cheers mellors, yea bits are more accurate. I'm just a noob really. Either way his net is very slow. Needs attention.

flickr

11. iBilo is offline ;)

That's my school line!!! 8Mb with Mozilla Firefox with the Fasterfox addon.

I'll add my connection when my Internet gets fixed, its a 20Mb Virgin broadband..

12. Camel is offline Legendary Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisicus »

That's my school line!!! 8Mb with Mozilla Firefox with the Fasterfox addon.

I'll add my connection when my Internet gets fixed, its a 20Mb Virgin broadband..
    I wanna get 1 150M Ethernet cable and connect it to my school because last time i looked there upload and download speeds were about 10Mb/s, not that mine needs improving anyway

13. Andreas¹ is offline Crazy Duck

This is kinda wierd me thinks, that you have such low numbers...

14. Fridge Magnet Rabbit is offline Manchester Racer Kid

OH BOO YAH!!!
    notice the second one has better download yet slower upload?
    number 3 being the best :P
    Nugget of the week: week 27!!
    1x Winner of 'What car is this?'
    TDU1: Paltala
    TDU2: Paltala
    TDU2 Forums: Paltala
    Recurring Theme much? :P

15. Camel is offline Legendary Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer »
    notice the second one has better download yet slower upload?
    This is because your connection speeds are always changing, they never stay the same. I could go into detail why but you would just fall to sleep reading it so I won't.

16. CarboyZR1 is offline Asian

17. Camel is offline Legendary Classic

Good connection there carboy and is that cable by any chance?

18. CarboyZR1 is offline Asian

My computer is connected wirelessly by Comcast High Speed Internet. Very fast and reliable.

19. jbenekeorr is offline Owns 3500GT named Gillian

Now, I'm at my dads house in a similar village about 2 miles from my house and the internet is drastically different

He is on a similar package to me but with Orange. Hmmm, strange
    TDU:::Rank-Champion:::Completion-80%
    My Life = My Computer, My Car, My G25, My PS3 - Oh dear that sounds really sad
    Note To Self : Hang out washing, Get Milk, Get Life

20. ScaR is offline Speed Racer

my old connection was a 24/2.5 Mbit adsl oh wells, thats a bit better now jben

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last