1. Camel is offline Legendary Classic

Default 8800GTS 512MB OR 9800GTX 512MB, which one???

Well I've seen the 8800GTS(G92) going for about £169.99 and I just saw that the 9800GTX(G92) has been released and can get one for £200. Would it be a wise idea to go for the 9800GTX and stay "future proof" for a little longer?

I was also wondering if any of you know if it is backwards compatible with PCIe 1.0?

2. Baltoman is offline Baby Vipah :D

well, a 8800GTS is a really good video card, never seen the 9800 but if you should ask pressurized's opinion cause he has a 8800GTS

3. MCiN7 is offline Drifter

9800GX2 > 9800 GTX > 8800 GTS > 8800 GT > 9600GT
    benchmarks
    http://lly316.blogspot.com/2008/03/g...ts-sli-vs.html
    If i were to choose, it would be the 9800GTX

4. RB26DETT is offline Banned

benchmarks from guru3d put it slightly better than the 8800gtx(g80). however, the 8800gts (g92) performs nearly as good as the 8800gtx so there really isn't a huge difference. i'd go with the 8800gts imo. but if money ain't a factor, the 9800gtx is better just a little bit.

p.s. if you can wait for july, 9900gtx!

5. Camel is offline Legendary Classic

Quote Originally Posted by RB26DETT »
    benchmarks from guru3d put it slightly better than the 8800gtx(g80). however, the 8800gts (g92) performs nearly as good as the 8800gtx so there really isn't a huge difference. i'd go with the 8800gts imo. but if money ain't a factor, the 9800gtx is better just a little bit.

p.s. if you can wait for july, 9900gtx!
    I have already waited since january so i can wait much longer and my mums PC has had it and i will also be overclocking it and maybe getting an aftermarket cooler.

6. Easterner is offline Rusted Banger

the 8800GT 512mb is a very descent videocard. I have only had my computer for two weeks now, and TDU runs great in i think 1450x something, no lag. Then again (not to boast) i have two, it may differ...

7. Speedtouch is offline I Wish I Was Special.

Don't get the GTS, it isn't as good as the GT. No-one knows why.

If you can afford it, I would go for the 9800.

PhOTW Week 8 + 15 | PTOTW Week 1, 4 + 5

8. Camel is offline Legendary Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Speedtouch »
    Don't get the GTS, it isn't as good as the GT. No-one knows why.

If you can afford it, I would go for the 9800.
    if I was to get the 8800GTS, it would the 512MB model, the model of GTS that came out about 5 months ago and it uses the same GPU as the 9XXX cards. The GT overclocked just about keeps up with the GTS with stock speeds.

9. HavockJoker is offline PGR4 Master

9800, newer GPU. would want to keep up with the most recent hardware, if they cost about the same.

10. Baltoman is offline Baby Vipah :D

I like monkeys