Page 1 of 3 123 Last

1. Rassva is offline Lannister

Default Automotive Photography

Hey guys, I thought of doing this thread so we get some criticism and advice regarding our car photos.
    Here we can discuss any tips and tricks we found out and trade opinions on photo gear and photos.
    What lenses do you prefer?
    Editing Techniques?
    Be sure to show us some of your work down below!

2. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

Come on Rass kick us off with one of your own.
    I'm a bit mental.

3. Rassva is offline Lannister

I'll start of with this, was shoot with a D3300 with Kit Lens, and played around lightroom with the colours and lighting.

I'm still not entirely sure if I want a 35mm or 50mm 1.8

4. Microphone is offline #Myk2016

I totally see this thread as shade at how bad my photos were yesterday I was hungover/on an iphone/wasn't in the mood for it

I like what you've done with the BMW, it's a lot more striking in the second photo, but I'd say it's probably 5% too dark imo, especially on the lower part of the front bumper.

Absolutely the most super of all the non-super moderators Your friendly community moderator.

5. hassan1995 is offline ( •_•)( •_•)>⌐■-■(⌐■_■)

You've bought the TOO DARK meme here ras, you're own doing

6. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

I agree with Mike, it is just a shade too dark but I do like how you've brought out the edges (via contrast?) of everything which has given more clarity to the whole image.
    I'm a bit mental.

7. mau92 is offline Car Aficianado

Here's my take. An M4 I saw near Wall Street in Manhattan. I think I tend to be more conservative with editing, although I sometimes try something more "complex" like blurring the background and such.

Original

DSC_5979 by Mauriciooo!, en Flickr

Edit 1

DSC_5979_1 by Mauriciooo!, en Flickr

Edit 2 (This is the edit that made it to flickr)

M4 by Mauriciooo!, en Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by hassan1995 »
    You've bought the TOO DARK meme here ras, you're own doing
    Maybe, just maybe, that was the whole point of this thread :P

8. Rassva is offline Lannister

By lighting it up I feel it lost some of the moody rainy dark day vibe and feels a bit flat too.

@Mau, the one you uploaded on flickr looks really cool, I usually like to add extra clarity to the headlights, in some cases it looks a bit better.

I mean..not really in this, as it was accidentaly shot at 3200iso on a crop camera in daylight lol
    Last edited by Rassva; 20/08/17 at 17:25 PM.

9. TDUFREAK500 is online now Rotary <3

@mau92 The editing is nice, albeit the shadows are a bit on the dark side, which means you have lost detail in the wheels. As for the shot itself, you have used too much dutch angle, a little bit can be effective in certain situations but too much can detract from a photo, and in terms of where you placed the car in frame it's pretty good, but I would have personally placed it in the lower left corner so there is less of the covered bike in the background and more of the building, otherwise not a bad effort!

@rassava The composition is pretty good, perhaps the car is a little bit too close to the edge of the frame, but otherwise very good, not a big fan of the editing, but that is probably just because it isn't really my style, but overall not a bad shot considering the area you had to work with.

Flick
    r

Facebook
    My Website

Most professional photographers spend all our days in a
    seemingly lifelong pursuit for the perfect image. Personally,
    I know I’ll never shoot a “perfect image”
    - Larry Chen

10. mau92 is offline Car Aficianado

Quote Originally Posted by TDUFREAK500 »
    @mau92 The editing is nice, albeit the shadows are a bit on the dark side, which means you have lost detail in the wheels. As for the shot itself, you have used too much dutch angle, a little bit can be effective in certain situations but too much can detract from a photo, and in terms of where you placed the car in frame it's pretty good, but I would have personally placed it in the lower left corner so there is less of the covered bike in the background and more of the building, otherwise not a bad effort!
    Thanks for the feedback! There's sometimes I get tired of getting the photos "squarely" framed, so I use a little bit of angle on the photos. I agree maybe it's too much but it's good for trying something different from time to time. I think that placing the car on the lower... Right? Might have gotten too much building on the shot. Maybe I have to go back to NY and find some more nice cars :P (Although NYC is the worse big city for car spotting)

11. TDUFREAK500 is online now Rotary <3

I feel like having more of the building in the shot would have actually made for a nice backdrop, and cut out the bike in the background and drawn a bit more attention towards the car. But I can understand that the reflections in the windows might be distracting, but if you were to use a polarizing filter on the camera (not sure if you have a DSLR or not though) you could cut down on the reflections both on the car windows and the building. Just some ideas for the future, I have also found that if I am unsure about composition I will take several photos with different compositions and choose the one I like best.

Flick
    r

Facebook
    My Website

Most professional photographers spend all our days in a
    seemingly lifelong pursuit for the perfect image. Personally,
    I know I’ll never shoot a “perfect image”
    - Larry Chen

12. Rassva is offline Lannister

He has a D7100, you can use sunglasses as polarizing filter as long as they're polarized, from my experience it works a bit better with phones as they're smaller. You can with a dslr too but you need someone to hold the glasses for you

13. mau92 is offline Car Aficianado

Also, Rass, regular sunglasses might not cover the whole lens.

Quote Originally Posted by TDUFREAK500 »
    I feel like having more of the building in the shot would have actually made for a nice backdrop, and cut out the bike in the background and drawn a bit more attention towards the car. But I can understand that the reflections in the windows might be distracting, but if you were to use a polarizing filter on the camera (not sure if you have a DSLR or not though) you could cut down on the reflections both on the car windows and the building. Just some ideas for the future, I have also found that if I am unsure about composition I will take several photos with different compositions and choose the one I like best.
    As Rass said, I use a D7100. Most of the shots are taken with a UV filter on the camera. Maybe I should get a polarizing filter and start trying with that. And yes, I sometimes do that also, just take a couple of pics from different angles or the object somewhere else and I just take the one I like the most.

14. Rassva is offline Lannister

They don't, that's why you need someone to hold them and you need to extend the lens, also you can get away with some cropping of 6000x4000 images. Usually aviators work, but it depends tbh

15. Rassva is offline Lannister

Before:

After adding some blur, dust and randomly editing it

16. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

What's the deal with this pic @Rassva: Is the car moving and you've captured it as a static shot and given it more movement afterwards, or is the car static and you've turned it into a moving one through editing?
    I'm a bit mental.

17. Rassva is offline Lannister

Given it more movement as the conditions were complicated for me at least, the forest was dark but the road was very bright, as to not burn the white on the car I had to use a fast shutter speed(still it doesn't look very okay), hence it seems a bit frozen. It was pretty scary to stay with the pro photographers as we were 1-2 meters from the cars racing around us.

18. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

Ah okay, thanks for the explanation. Your before and after was just making me question some of the great images I have seen and was wondering if they were taken like that (with some minor corrections) or had been made. I only have basic photography knowledge so you kind of threw me for a loop there.
    I'm a bit mental.

19. Rassva is offline Lannister

Most of the commercial work is either shot still and then the motion is added or they attach a camera arm to the car. If the whole car is nice and sharp then the shot was modified to look like it's moving, it's really hard to obtain the whole surface of the car sharp in a panning shot and still have some motion blur around.
    Added some extreme motion blur as an example:

20. mau92 is offline Car Aficianado

I was going to point out same thing as Diablo did. The wheel's motion blur doesn't fit to the background blur. And the second shot has that weird glare around the edges of the car that reveals what has been made to the photo.
    The Skoda pic looks nice, although the rear wheel looks a bit weird, maybe it needs a little bit less of blur.

This is a pic I took earlier this year in India. I thought the composition was good because how pristine the bike looked surrounded by all that beige-ish color India has all over the place.

Royal Enfeld by Mauriciooo!, en Flickr

Page 1 of 3 123 Last