Results 1 to 20 of 20

  1. YeOldeTDUMan is offline working too much
     
    Location: ?
    Posts: 1,463

    #1

    Default F1 2008 Season: Malaysia Grand Prix

    Congrats to Kimi ... flawless race

    Another good performance from BMW and Kubica ... definitely a rising star

    I think McLaren might have to worry with the pace of the Ferrari

    I think the whole final qualifying needs to be looked at as the McLarens were VERY dangerous

    Trulli had a great race ... good to see Toyota having a better season than previous years
    I'd rather be topless !


  2. Iced_Bullet is offline Cheese=Milk's Death Route
     
    Location: Norfolk, UK
    Posts: 6,310

    #2

    Default

    Yeah. Looks like there're some new rookies to look out for too. Is it me, or does Kimi look like he's going to cry in that news conference thing? I wonder where Hamilton would have finished, if he hadn't been moved down the grid after Alonso threw his toys out the pram after qualifying.

    Tbh, what was the point in Alonso complaining? He sucked in this race ...
    Life is good. Simples. Cccchhhhh.

  3. YeOldeTDUMan is offline working too much
     
    Location: ?
    Posts: 1,463

    #3

    Default

    Iced ... sorry but I agree with the race stewards (I didn't know it was a complaint from Alonso) ... the McLarens were dangerous in the final part of quali ... a very nasty accident could have happened, thankfully it didn't
    I'd rather be topless !

  4. Iced_Bullet is offline Cheese=Milk's Death Route
     
    Location: Norfolk, UK
    Posts: 6,310

    #4

    Default

    Yeah I know it was dangerous, but it was cool to wacth

    Anyway, apparently it was Alonso who complained, and it was then that they acted upon this .. I just wonder what would have happened if Alonso hadn't of complained. Also, what happened to punishing all the other drivers who got in the way, I don't see them getting punished. It's all because Alonso is slow this year, he doesn't like Hamilton and others being faster than him ...

    Quote Originally Posted by itv-f1.com
    After complaints from Heidfeld and Alonso, the stewards summoned Hamilton and Kovalainen to explain their actions, and have now decreed that both should be given a five place penalty.
    Life is good. Simples. Cccchhhhh.

  5. Car Freak is offline loves dirt too
    Location: Singapore
    Posts: 3,066

    #5

    Default

    I think it was because the two McLarens didn't move off the racing line when Heidfeld was coming up, and hence making him need to swerve around so he wouldn't hit them. You could see in that shot all the other cars behind the McLarens at the right of the track, following racing etiquette and letting Heidfeld pass. That said, i also do think that the McLarens didn't want to startle Heidfeld, so the chose to remain where they were. You could see Hamilton swerving all the way to the right after Heidfeld had passed, indicating that he knew he was making a mistake...

    Anyway, WTF with Hamilton's pitstop??!!

    Oh, and Trulli was truly amazing, don't you think?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    You're impossible, Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Impossible is nothing. Therefore I am nothing...

  6. Nige is offline Buy American ....
    Location: Calgary, AB
    Posts: 888

    #6

    Default

    .


    KIMI, KIMI, KIMI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    Oh yeah, what a superb race from Kimi, also congrats to Kubica second is very good.


    So overall my 2 favourite drivers finished 1st & 2nd no complaints from me .



    One more thing was it me or did Lewis & McLaren prove today they are starting to struggle ????????????
    Canada 2010 Ice Hockey Winter Olympic Gold Medal winners!

  7. Iced_Bullet is offline Cheese=Milk's Death Route
     
    Location: Norfolk, UK
    Posts: 6,310

    #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nige7 »
    One more thing was it me or did Lewis & McLaren prove today they are starting to struggle ????????????
    No, they proved that no matter what Alonso tries to do, Alonso is still slow and cannot match up to McLaren's pace.
    Life is good. Simples. Cccchhhhh.

  8. SupermAnthony is offline Man Of Steel
    Location: RocKdale, Lancs
    Posts: 388

    #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nige7 »
    One more thing was it me or did Lewis & McLaren prove today they are starting to struggle ????????????
    I think it's just you. They've only had 2 races... I'm not the biggest fan of Formula 1 by any means, but aren't McLaren at the top of the Constructor's Championship and Lewis Hamilton top of the Driver's Championship? Now correct me if I'm wrong - but after 2 races I think that shows McLaren are in control. Give it another few races and it may all change but for now no, I don't think they're struggling - just being stupid again.

  9. HavockJoker is offline PGR4 Master
    Location: New Jersey, USA
    Posts: 1,532

    #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid_IV »
    Congrats to Kimi ... flawless race

    Another good performance from BMW and Kubica ... definitely a rising star

    I think McLaren might have to worry with the pace of the Ferrari

    I think the whole final qualifying needs to be looked at as the McLarens were VERY dangerous

    Trulli had a great race ... good to see Toyota having a better season than previous years
    All what you said I what I was gonna say almost the same comment. Yeah trulli great race. Mclarens were down on pace and Ferrari did well except for Massa's spin. BMW was very strong.




  10. Nige is offline Buy American ....
    Location: Calgary, AB
    Posts: 888

    #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SupermAnthony »
    I think it's just you. They've only had 2 races... I'm not the biggest fan of Formula 1 by any means, but aren't McLaren at the top of the Constructor's Championship and Lewis Hamilton top of the Driver's Championship? Now correct me if I'm wrong - but after 2 races I think that shows McLaren are in control. Give it another few races and it may all change but for now no, I don't think they're struggling - just being stupid again.
    What I was trying to say was Hamilton didn't look 'sharp' today and maybe the first season binge is over and now the hangover begins.

    Either way this season so far has been enjoyable .
    Canada 2010 Ice Hockey Winter Olympic Gold Medal winners!

  11. Iced_Bullet is offline Cheese=Milk's Death Route
     
    Location: Norfolk, UK
    Posts: 6,310

    #11

    Default

    I can't wait until next yeah when all the fiddly bits have to be taken off!
    Life is good. Simples. Cccchhhhh.

  12. Camel is offline Legendary Classic
      
    Posts: 11,510

    #12

    Default

    Nige like I said in the other thread, SHUT UP.

    Some tracks are better suited to Ferrari and some to McLaren. You cant expect one car alone to be dominant on every single track.

  13. Nige is offline Buy American ....
    Location: Calgary, AB
    Posts: 888

    #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Playhouse Disney »
    Nige like I said in the other thread, SHUT UP.

    Some tracks are better suited to Ferrari and some to McLaren. You cant expect one car alone to be dominant on every single track.
    True, I understand that but what I am trying to say is people go on about Lewis being great but surely if he was so great he would of proved his greatness today but IMO he didn't :

    A) driving on the racing line in qualifying during his in lap, I mean come on you would think being a 'pro' he would have known that !?!?!?!
    B) would have been able to jump a good few places at the first corner to be up there fighting for P1
    C) would have got rid of Webber much sooner.
    D) did he or did not have a faster car than Webber & Trulli yet still couldn't pass them ????????

    What I am trying to say is, if he was so great he would have proved today that he can be a world champion but no he didn't. I understand that you can't judge a driver on one race but with all the 'Hamilton Mania' going on I feel I have the right to criticise him because surely he is that good he should be on the podium every race weekend afterall he is an 'amazing talent' !!!

    So I know you guys think I hate Hamilton, I don't hate him I just don't believe he is that 'amazing talent' that people talk about yeah sure he is good but come on a day like today and you have to look at the bigger picture and ask yourself is he really that good !?!?!?!

    You can blame the team all you want but at the end of the day the team doesn't drive the car its the driver so if the driver slips up (Massa !!!) he can't blame it on the team !!!

    Granted the team messed up the pit stop but still ........
    Last edited by Baldy; 24/03/08 at 15:50 PM.
    Canada 2010 Ice Hockey Winter Olympic Gold Medal winners!

  14. Tundra is offline Rusted Banger
    Location: Madrid
    Posts: 56

    #14

    Default

    No, they proved that no matter what Alonso tries to do, Alonso is still slow and cannot match up to McLaren's pace.
    I'm Alonso fan. In spanish press, he has said many times since 1st march, this year will be a nightmare, fighting for points, no podiums.
    I don't know what ke thinks fir himself, but that is what he said to press.

    Everybody waits a Kimmi-Lewis fight for title this year. I hope would be a great fight.

    Rare hamilton's situation in Malaysia, in my opinion, was be outperformed by his team-mate Kova.
    [SIGPIC]http://forum.tdu-central.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1265&dateline=1206012403[/SIGPIC]

  15. YeOldeTDUMan is offline working too much
     
    Location: ?
    Posts: 1,463

    #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nige7 »
    True, I understand that but what I am trying to say is people go on about Lewis being great but surely if he was so great he would of proved his greatness today but IMO he didn't :

    A) driving on the racing line in qualifying during his in lap, I mean come on you would think being a 'pro' he would have known that !?!?!?!
    B) would have been able to jump a good few places at the first corner to be up there fighting for P1
    C) would have got rid of Webber much sooner.
    D) did he or did not have a faster car than Webber & Trulli yet still couldn't pass them ????????

    What I am trying to say is, if he was so great he would have proved today that he can be a world champion but no he didn't. I understand that you can't judge a driver on one race but with all the 'Hamilton Mania' going on I feel I have the right to criticise him because surely he is that good he should be on the podium every race weekend afterall he is an 'amazing talent' !!!

    So I know you guys think I hate Hamilton, I don't hate him I just don't believe he is that 'amazing talent' that people talk about yeah sure he is good but come on a day like today and you have to look at the bigger picture and ask yourself is he really that good !?!?!?!

    You can blame the team all you want but at the end of the day the team doesn't drive the car its the driver so if the driver slips up (Massa !!!) he can't blame it on the team !!!

    Granted the team fecked up the pit stop but still ........
    Nige stop talking rubbish ...

    As Mellors says some tracks are suited towards the Ferrari and some towards the McLaren ... all depends how the cars is designed.

    In terms of your points above ... here goes

    A) You'll find BOTH McLaren drivers were penalised ... personally I blame the pit crew for not warning them that drivers were still attempting a quali lap ... if you saw the quali there were actually 4 cars going slowly in that bit of track (I can't remember who the other 2 were off the top of my head) ... and as if you use the relative speeds of the cars the McLarens had no time to react once they'd seen the cars in their mirrors, could you react in time with a closing speed of approximately 100mph!

    B) Did you ACTUALLY watch the race ... Lewis started in 9th place and managed to grab 5th place in the first couple of bends ... that's good going in anyones book.

    C) OK 2 points here ... it's a known fact that the Red Bulls have good straight line speed ... also although Malaysia is a wide track it's racing line isn't so it's still dificult to overtake.

    D) See second point on answer C

    And now to your final point ... a great driver is NEVER going to finish on the podium every single race ... I'll give you 2 examples ... Sir Stirling Moss and Ayrton Senna.

    As to you saying you can't blame the team you have to blame the driver ... well lets examine this ... in my mind it's a bit of both.

    1. quali showed the McLarens didn't have the pace of the Ferraris at Malaysia and they were struggling with their grip ... some cars prefer one circuit, some prefer another ... fact of car design
    2. poor communication (supposition by me) between the pits and the drivers during the 'in-lap' at the end of quali 3 resulted in them not knowing 2 drivers were still attempting a quali lap
    3. unfortunately 1 of those drivers was Lewis's/Ron's best mate Alonso ... who complained and the race stewards righty (I think it was very dangerous ... but then I also don't like the change to this years quali with the fuel) deducted some places from both McLarens as they were deemed to be in the way
    4. you can't change the fuel level post quali now so he would have been on the wrong fuel level for being 9th on the grid.
    5. being 9th (mid pack) on the grid is dangerous as you're more likely to get caught in a shunt so you have to be vary wary at the start and first few bends
    6. Lewis then found himself behind a Red Bull, a quick car in a straight line, on a track that is difficult to overtake with a fuel strategy that was intended for him being in the front 4 quick cars
    7. Lewis's first fuel stop was intended to be a quick splash and dash (did you notice the length of time the fuel hose was on?) meant to put him out in a relatively clear track to have a blast and hopefully jump people as they pitted ... unfortunately there was an issue with the nut/spinner on the front right wheel which meant he had an extra 10+ seconds in the pit
    8. 10+ seconds put him in 11th
    9. his spinner on the front right wheel wasn't spinning and must have been causing some nasty vibrations (If you notice they have a slot in them to allow airflow to cool the brakes, if this was spinning with the wheel it could produce some nasty oscillations)
    10. eventually things played out that Lewis was in front of Webber through pit stops and with some clear track and some tyres that favoured the McLaren he started to catch Trulli ... but that was the end of the race

    So ... McLarens weren't suited to Malaysia ... he got penalised in Quali ... he got stuck behind a quick car ... his first pit stop was a disaster ... he was then on the wrong fuel load ... but he finished 5th in the end

    "A bad day in the office" so to speak ... but at least he got some points

    Here endeth my rant!
    I'd rather be topless !

  16. Iced_Bullet is offline Cheese=Milk's Death Route
     
    Location: Norfolk, UK
    Posts: 6,310

    #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid_IV »
    So ... McLarens weren't suited to Malaysia ... he got penalised in Quali ... he got stuck behind a quick car ... his first pit stop was a disaster ... he was then on the wrong fuel load ... but he finished 5th in the end
    Very well written responce Hybrid I'd like to say with the things I quoted, Hamilton did a very good drive to actualy finish 5th. And Nige, you can't go slating saying other drivers are prooving they're not going to win. After all, it isn't even the third blooming race!
    Life is good. Simples. Cccchhhhh.

  17. Camel is offline Legendary Classic
      
    Posts: 11,510

    #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid_IV »
    Nige stop talking rubbish ...

    As Mellors says some tracks are suited towards the Ferrari and some towards the McLaren ... all depends how the cars is designed.

    In terms of your points above ... here goes

    A) You'll find BOTH McLaren drivers were penalised ... personally I blame the pit crew for not warning them that drivers were still attempting a quali lap ... if you saw the quali there were actually 4 cars going slowly in that bit of track (I can't remember who the other 2 were off the top of my head) ... and as if you use the relative speeds of the cars the McLarens had no time to react once they'd seen the cars in their mirrors, could you react in time with a closing speed of approximately 100mph!

    B) Did you ACTUALLY watch the race ... Lewis started in 9th place and managed to grab 5th place in the first couple of bends ... that's good going in anyones book.

    C) OK 2 points here ... it's a known fact that the Red Bulls have good straight line speed ... also although Malaysia is a wide track it's racing line isn't so it's still dificult to overtake.

    D) See second point on answer C

    And now to your final point ... a great driver is NEVER going to finish on the podium every single race ... I'll give you 2 examples ... Sir Stirling Moss and Ayrton Senna.

    As to you saying you can't blame the team you have to blame the driver ... well lets examine this ... in my mind it's a bit of both.

    1. quali showed the McLarens didn't have the pace of the Ferraris at Malaysia and they were struggling with their grip ... some cars prefer one circuit, some prefer another ... fact of car design
    2. poor communication (supposition by me) between the pits and the drivers during the 'in-lap' at the end of quali 3 resulted in them not knowing 2 drivers were still attempting a quali lap
    3. unfortunately 1 of those drivers was Lewis's/Ron's best mate Alonso ... who complained and the race stewards righty (I think it was very dangerous ... but then I also don't like the change to this years quali with the fuel) deducted some places from both McLarens as they were deemed to be in the way
    4. you can't change the fuel level post quali now so he would have been on the wrong fuel level for being 9th on the grid.
    5. being 9th (mid pack) on the grid is dangerous as you're more likely to get caught in a shunt so you have to be vary wary at the start and first few bends
    6. Lewis then found himself behind a Red Bull, a quick car in a straight line, on a track that is difficult to overtake with a fuel strategy that was intended for him being in the front 4 quick cars
    7. Lewis's first fuel stop was intended to be a quick splash and dash (did you notice the length of time the fuel hose was on?) meant to put him out in a relatively clear track to have a blast and hopefully jump people as they pitted ... unfortunately there was an issue with the nut/spinner on the front right wheel which meant he had an extra 10+ seconds in the pit
    8. 10+ seconds put him in 11th
    9. his spinner on the front right wheel wasn't spinning and must have been causing some nasty vibrations (If you notice they have a slot in them to allow airflow to cool the brakes, if this was spinning with the wheel it could produce some nasty oscillations)
    10. eventually things played out that Lewis was in front of Webber through pit stops and with some clear track and some tyres that favoured the McLaren he started to catch Trulli ... but that was the end of the race

    So ... McLarens weren't suited to Malaysia ... he got penalised in Quali ... he got stuck behind a quick car ... his first pit stop was a disaster ... he was then on the wrong fuel load ... but he finished 5th in the end

    "A bad day in the office" so to speak ... but at least he got some points

    Here endeth my rant!
    Very well said hybrid.

    And Diablo can you please block nige from posting in any of the F1 threads. Pwease.

  18. Nige is offline Buy American ....
    Location: Calgary, AB
    Posts: 888

    #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Playhouse Disney »
    Very well said hybrid.

    And Diablo can you please block nige from posting in any of the F1 threads. Pwease.
    Why ??????????????

    After all a forum is about expressing your opinions about a certain subject and just because you don't like my opinion or the way I say it, means I shouldn't be allowed to post ???????

    Dude get a life, its only the internet and if you care so much about this I dread to think what you are like in the real world if someone criticises you or doesn't have the same opinion has yourself.

    LOL .

    Just for your info I did receive an infraction about this thread already because somene complained, I don't have to guess twice who told Baldred.
    Canada 2010 Ice Hockey Winter Olympic Gold Medal winners!

  19. Camel is offline Legendary Classic
      
    Posts: 11,510

    #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nige7 »
    Why ??????????????

    After all a forum is about expressing your opinions about a certain subject and just because you don't like my opinion or the way I say it, means I shouldn't be allowed to post ???????

    Dude get a life, its only the internet and if you care so much about this I dread to think what you are like in the real world if someone criticises you or doesn't have the same opinion has yourself.

    LOL .

    Just for your info I did receive an infraction about this thread already because somene complained, I don't have to guess twice who told Baldred.
    Calm down dear, I was only jokin and I knew that he wouldnt of blocked you anyway and it sounds like you implying that i told baldred to give you an infraction which I didnt.



    CASE CLOSED

  20. mikipvfc is offline user title eh???? okay er
    Location: england
    Posts: 40

    #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nige7 »
    .


    KIMI, KIMI, KIMI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    Oh yeah, what a superb race from Kimi, also congrats to Kubica second is very good.


    So overall my 2 favourite drivers finished 1st & 2nd no complaints from me .



    One more thing was it me or did Lewis & McLaren prove today they are starting to struggle ????????????
    like martin brundle says mclaren in a race are 2-3 tenths of a second slower than the mclarens but know mclarens have changed stratigys so know its very close
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    caterham r500 fan woooo its back


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

about us

  • turboduck is a community that is dedicated to driving and racing games of all types on all platforms. Whether it's ticking off the miles/kilometres while exploring an open world, crashing and exploding everything in an insane balls-to-the-wall arcade racer, or nailing down every apex and trimming off every tenth possible in authentic sim-racing. It's all up for discussion as we enjoy the virtual cars, bikes, and everything else that these games offer. So join us, jump into the discussions, and don't think too much about why a 'duck' is our mascot. ;)
turboduck twitter turboduck facebook turboduck youtube turboduck twitter turboduck rss