1. BeSweeet is online now Car Aficianado

Default Extract .dat files?

As the title suggests, is it possible to extract files from .dat files?
    My Desktop Build
    Core i7-2600K @ 4GHz, ASUS GTX 1060, 16GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, MSI Z68A-GD80 mobo, Windows 10 Pro x64
    Twitter | Website

2. TIMELESS is offline Moderator

Have you tried this: DAT Tool (a program to create/extract dat files) | Circle of Eight Modding Community ?

I have no idea of different games have different types of .dat files or whether it's just a simple archive though
    #LETSMAKETDUCKGREATAGAIN

Naturally Hans is wet, hes standing under a waterfall.

3. BeSweeet is online now Car Aficianado

It crashed upon launch. The manual mentions requiring tio.dll and zlib-1.2.1.dll that I don't have. I tried a different DAT tool from that site, and it kept creating endless nested folders called (null). Assuming they're different types of DAT archives.
    My Desktop Build
    Core i7-2600K @ 4GHz, ASUS GTX 1060, 16GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, MSI Z68A-GD80 mobo, Windows 10 Pro x64
    Twitter | Website

4. TIMELESS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BeSweeet »
    It crashed upon launch. The manual mentions requiring tio.dll and zlib-1.2.1.dll that I don't have. I tried a different DAT tool from that site, and it kept creating endless nested folders called (null). Assuming they're different types of DAT archives.
    How about this one? WD files extractor download - Watch Dogs - Mod DB If Ubi uses one specific kind of .dat maybe that'll work.. maybe...
    #LETSMAKETDUCKGREATAGAIN

5. BeSweeet is online now Car Aficianado

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Softie »
    How about this one? WD files extractor download - Watch Dogs - Mod DB If Ubi uses one specific kind of .dat maybe that'll work.. maybe...
    Works!

Tried extracting some of the sound .DAT files. Within are thousands of small text files and various-sized psb/riff/swf (not a Flash file) files. Not sure how to open those. Not sure if I want to at this point.
    My Desktop Build
    Twitter | Website

6. TIMELESS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BeSweeet »
    Works!

Tried extracting some of the sound .DAT files. Within are thousands of small text files and various-sized psb/riff/swf (not a Flash file) files. Not sure how to open those. Not sure if I want to at this point.
    Sweeet. Step one of modding The Crew

"The Resource Interchange File Format (RIFF) is a generic file container format for storing data in tagged chunks. It is primarily used to store multimedia such as sound and video, though it may also be used to store any arbitrary data."

It sounds like that's the file you want to get into to find the sounds then. The text files... maybe a fancy .ini type file for each sound? Who knows? I think Audacity can import .riff files though
    #LETSMAKETDUCKGREATAGAIN

7. BeSweeet is online now Car Aficianado

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Softie »
    It sounds like that's the file you want to get into to find the sounds then. The text files... maybe a fancy .ini type file for each sound? Who knows? I think Audacity can import .riff files though
    Interestingly, the biggest file happens to be the SWF. The RIFF and PSB files are <100KB in size. The particular .DAT I extracted is global_sounds.dat (299MB). For common_sounds.dat (852MB), the biggest file (only 2 total) is the PSB (typically for Photoshop and other Adobe software).
    My Desktop Build
    Twitter | Website

8. Ryzza5 is offline .

Try dragging whatever file that seems large enough to be audio into VLC and see if it can work out the codec. Larger studios these days have probably worked out how to prevent that (or make it difficult) by now.

9. BeSweeet is online now Car Aficianado

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzza5 »
    Try dragging whatever file that seems large enough to be audio into VLC and see if it can work out the codec. Larger studios these days have probably worked out how to prevent that (or make it difficult) by now.
    None of the files in the two test .DAT files seemed large enough to be audio files. Files were either small (<100KB) or large (200MB+).
    My Desktop Build
    Twitter | Website

10. Ryzza5 is offline .

Large may yet contain multiple songs either separately or together in a set playlist (with ads between)?

11. BeSweeet is online now Car Aficianado

VLC unfortunately didn't play anything.
    My Desktop Build
    Twitter | Website