Topic:

CLR goes CLS

1. The Compensator is offline Future heel&toe historian

There are departments that do the ergonomics, sounds, acoustics and other stuff that most think is just not that important.

This is also why Rolls Royces have different warning chimes than Mini. yes, I know, two different brands, but you can clearly hear that RR's are kinda classier/more pleasant.

2. CLR-GTR is offline Bunchie farmer

Was sort of hoping to make nice pictures in front of a monumental former radio communications HQ, but apparently access for cars has been blocked by more barriers than I expected, so I had to settle with one of the shove-it-under-the-carpet other buildings on the site... At least I had a nice trip today lol
    Attached Images Attached Images     

3. Andreas¹ is offline Crazy Duck

Well that's nice. I'm not jealous at all.

You have Germany as optional extra?

4. CLR-GTR is offline Bunchie farmer

Yes, it's all mine. Really though, there will be plenty of reasons for people, other countries and international organizations to not want me own a country

On a more serious note: it's how Merc uses an entry on the datacard to indicate for which market the car had to be prepared and shipped. In some cases this involves for example extra documents that come with the car, and ofcourse pre-setting all the languages in the car, include manuals and service books in the correct language, etc.

5. Andreas¹ is offline Crazy Duck

So is it imported or is that how most Dutch cars are sold?

What's the mileage like on it?

6. CLR-GTR is offline Bunchie farmer

If it was an original Dutch delivery, it would read ''Niederlande'' on the datacard, and the date of first registration and first registration in our country would be the same.

This car is imported, it was delivered in germany in february '11 and got here in november '11 when the previous owner bought it. It's very common for young cars from the middle or top luxury segment to be imported from Germany. Such cars are often (but definitely not always!) better equipped than a Dutch car for the same price, with lower mileages. Reason I did not import one was because to really sáve money on importing, you'd have to do everything yourself including getting it here, which I don't have the experience, time or equipment for. Also, for young cars you still have to pay customs a rest-tax which is XX % at Y age of the car. This all would make it more expensive for me to import one, so I went for the easy option and just save up to get one here.

Mileage... I have to drive it for a longer time and save up more receipts of refueling to determine a reliable figure. I don't 100% go by the figures on the onboard display. As far as those means anything though: my ~48 km commute to work usually ends up around 6,5-7,0 liters per 100 km. It's a 130km/h limit highway, but it's full of traffic, trucks often overtake eachother and there are numerous spontaneous brake-tests going on, otherwise I'd be doing 6 to 6,5 liters per 100 km.

Yesterday, when I took those pics, I was doing a triangle trip (home-visit, visit-photospot, photospot-home), three trips of about 60 km, mixed highway, B-roads and 50km/h roads. The car considered it one long trip and gave me a 6,3 liters per 100 km.

7. Microphone is offline #Myk2016

Are you looking at any mods or anything for this helmi? I'm not one for aftermarket modifications but I know this is quite the rare opinion 'round these parts. I don't think it needs anything personally but I think an upgrade to some more recent OEM rims might be rather cool if you can afford them

Absolutely the most super of all the non-super moderators Your friendly community moderator.

8. Andreas¹ is offline Crazy Duck

Quote Originally Posted by CLR-GTR »
    Mileage... I have to drive it for a longer time and save up more receipts of refueling to determine a reliable figure. I don't 100% go by the figures on the onboard display. As far as those means anything though: my ~48 km commute to work usually ends up around 6,5-7,0 liters per 100 km. It's a 130km/h limit highway, but it's full of traffic, trucks often overtake eachother and there are numerous spontaneous brake-tests going on, otherwise I'd be doing 6 to 6,5 liters per 100 km.

Yesterday, when I took those pics, I was doing a triangle trip (home-visit, visit-photospot, photospot-home), three trips of about 60 km, mixed highway, B-roads and 50km/h roads. The car considered it one long trip and gave me a 6,3 liters per 100 km.
    That's nice but I was thinking more how-much-distance-has-it-covered-in-life rather than the other kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by #Myk2016 »
    Are you looking at any mods or anything for this helmi? I'm not one for aftermarket modifications but I know this is quite the rare opinion 'round these parts. I don't think it needs anything personally but I think an upgrade to some more recent OEM rims might be rather cool if you can afford them
    Don't give him ideas!

9. Microphone is offline #Myk2016

Honestly there's nothing wrong with the car as it is, and those rims are completely fine and are rather nice, but Merc offer a fair amount of choice and I wonder if it would be a fairly easy change to make

Absolutely the most super of all the non-super moderators Your friendly community moderator.

10. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

The car is mint as is, different wheels could make it even ...mintier? All the same though, this is one of those cars you would walk out into a car park, street etc and be proud that it is yours.

Can even imagine there's maybe moments where sometimes he cannot believe it is his and nearly walks past it.
    I'm a bit mental.

11. Ryzza5 is offline .

The only way it could be mintier is if it revealed random facts when you opened it up

12. The Compensator is offline Future heel&toe historian

Leather needs to be cleaned and the paint might look much worse under direct light if it has never been machine polished in its entire life. Also we don't have close-up photos of the front end - stone chips, y'know.

13. Microphone is offline #Myk2016

Bit of a killjoy post that Tom, y'know

14. TIMELESS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by #Myk2016 »
    Bit of a killjoy post that Tom, y'know
    He's just trying to convince CLR to hire him to detail the CLS
    #LETSMAKETDUCKGREATAGAIN

Naturally Hans is wet, he’s standing under a waterfall.

15. CLR-GTR is offline Bunchie farmer

We all know how Tomas is regarding detailing

@Tomas: the place I bought it from had undented and repainted the front-end to remove stone-chip damage, so there won't be anything to see now. Leather treatment in my opinion would be necessary for the steeringwheel and the front seats, but I just got the car and it's not high on my list right now to sort out.

@Andreas: I bought it with just over 154.000 km. That would be just over 30.000 a year, which is a good mileage for a diesel. Sometimes diesels show up which have done maybe 10.000 km a year, I would have more doubts about such a car.

@Myk: At the moment I have not really planned anything, just thinking/looking/dreaming a bit, but it's nothing spectacular like what nearly every American MBForum member does.

If I'd do anything to this car, most likely the first thing would be a different and/or extra set of wheels, so I can easily swap winter-summer. I don't know how I'll do it. I could get a second 18-inch or a 19-inch set for the summer and keep the current 18's as winter set, or I can get a second 18-inch or 17-inch set for the winter. For 19-inch wheels I'd first have to ask around a bit if others know what difference it would make in comfort. For 17-inch rims, I'm not sure if the current brakes are larger than the stock ones or not. But as you point out, Merc has a lot of different wheels, both AMG as non-AMG. Ofcourse the rim width and ET offset must be correct, and then it'll just be taste. We'll see. Oh and I absolutely don't want wheels with spokes that are curved like turbine blades or anything, because they'd all be similar and that means 2 would be facing the opposite way. The only directional rims Merc made were the SLR turbines.

Speaking of which... there are two sets of wheels they had on the SLR which I would love to see how they look like on other Mercs, a 5-spoke (like the one in TDU1, but less Vauxhall Corsa-ish) and a nice 10-spoke. But those sets are extremely rare to find, and I don't know if the sizes will be right.

A second thing would be to get rid of the emblems across the bodywork, which are 2 BlueEfficiency labels on the front quarterpanels, chrome letters spelling the seller's company name below the rear license plate, and the CLS350 and CDI badges. Other than that, I currently don't miss anything and I don't see myself spending thousands to get retrofitted folding mirrors, upgraded soundsystem, dynamic multi-contour seats or radar-guided cruise control, just to name a few things my car doesn't have. But I don't miss them anyway and most likely I would rarely use those.
    Last edited by CLR-GTR; 15/06/16 at 18:08 PM.

16. The Compensator is offline Future heel&toe historian

Got a tune for ya.

17. CLR-GTR is offline Bunchie farmer

Clearly one of the people who were behind me in line for the hand-out of singing skills...

18. CLR-GTR is offline Bunchie farmer

Been messing a bit in Word to see what other wheels I'd like. Basically all are sort of sized to the 18" that are on now, but in reality I think most of em are 19". 20 and over is a no-go, so are all black wheels except for the AMG 7-twinspokes.

19. Microphone is offline #Myk2016

Not a fan of the second ones down. The last ones are They look amazing. There's no question/debate for me, it's them or none

20. TIMELESS is offline Moderator

I'd go for the last ones, but I'm a little biased since that's what's on our E They are pretty though!
    #LETSMAKETDUCKGREATAGAIN

Naturally Hans is wet, he’s standing under a waterfall.