1. Nodz86 is offline ____________

Default Ecclestone wants wins to decide title

Quote Originally Posted by itv.com/f1
    Bernie Ecclestone says he wants to see the Formula 1 scoring format abolished and the championship title given to whoever wins the most races.

The Formula 1 supremo told the Daily Mail newspaper that the current points system did not offer sufficient incentives to push for victory, as there is only a two-point gap between winning and second place.

He believes abandoning drivers' points in favour of a winner takes all approach would make the races much more entertaining.

"I got a bit waylaid last season, what with all the business with McLaren and Ferrari, but it is my intention to push this idea through in the coming weeks," said Ecclestone.

"The key word in motor racing is 'racing', and right now there are not enough overtaking manoeuvres in the sport because drivers are happy not to take risks and claim second place because it is only two points less than winning the race.

"What I want to see is the winner of the most number of races as world champion, and second places only to be used if the top two finish the season with the same number of wins.

"The constructors would keep the existing system."
    Although Ecclestone controls the commercial side of F1, the FIA is responsible for the regulations.

Bernie's proposed system would not have made a difference to any of the recent championship fights, although more would have been decided by final round showdowns.

The driver with the most wins has taken the title every year since 1989, when Ayrton Senna won six grands prix but lost the crown to four-time race winner Alain Prost.

Nigel Mansell would also have become a three-time champion under Ecclestone's proposal, adding the 1986 and 1987 championships to his 1992 title.
    What does everyone think about this good or bad idea????

Can keep on topic and not get into the driver/team slagging off/debates/arguements please.
    Last edited by Nodz86; 17/03/08 at 18:41 PM.

2. Pherelas is offline I'm Going Slightly mad

I think its a good idea, the more things they do to get the overtaking going the better.
    -----
    [imglink]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/pherelas/SigCustom.jpg[/imglink]
    . . . . . . Why is it always a wrong number, what if there in the wrong house? . . . . . . .

3. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

The thing I could see with this though is more "accidents". Think about it, teammates could "accidentally" cause a safety car to come out, could "accidentally" cause confusion in the pits, could "accidentally hit the guy in front"...well you get the idea.

Sounds good yeah but it definitely has it's disadvantages also.
    I'm a bit mental.

4. Nodz86 is offline ____________

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo »
    The thing I could see with this though is more "accidents". Think about it, teammates could "accidentally" cause a safety car to come out, could "accidentally" cause confusion in the pits, could "accidentally hit the guy in front"...well you get the idea.

Sounds good yeah but it definitely has it's disadvantages also.
    They'd just have to watch these so called "accidents" and slap penalties on the drivers/teams that cause them. Have a zero tolerance policy.

5. HavockJoker is offline PGR4 Master

All I want is clean races with alot of accidents and overtaking.

6. iBilo is offline ;)

Don't like it. The points gives the last races such an entertainment. Plus this year looks to be fantastic.

7. khevolution is offline Most likely To Hit a Tree

not entirely the precise scoring points, but surely can't you give a 5 point gap between first and second so for example

1st = 15pts
    2nd = 10pts

that way settling for 2nd place won't be enough, and drivers will still have to push hard to either catch up or stay infront, also i think the point system does work cause it means the lower teams ( who lets face it, can't afford the technology needed to win races these days) have something to aim for, say last year they got 5 pts next year they will try and beat that

not sure if any of that makes sense, but im way too tired to care, but thought i would add my two pence worth

8. YeOldeTDUMan is offline working too much

I'd agree with Khevo and just increase the points gap between 1st and 2nd places
    I'd rather be topless !

9. Microphone is offline #Myk2016

I think this is a very bad idea!!

Think about teams like super aguri, they have no chance!!!

Absolutely the most super of all the non-super moderators Your friendly community moderator.

10. Pherelas is offline I'm Going Slightly mad

They don't stand a chance anyway lol. The bigger gap idea is a good one yer though.
    -----
    [imglink]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/pherelas/SigCustom.jpg[/imglink]
    . . . . . . Why is it always a wrong number, what if there in the wrong house? . . . . . . .

11. Nige is offline Buy American ....

Its actually a very good idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kimi won more races than anybody last year (6 races) yet only just won the title.

So I totally agree with it .

Thats all I have to say .
    Canada 2010 Ice Hockey Winter Olympic Gold Medal winners!

12. YeOldeTDUMan is offline working too much

I'd like to know how they'd work out the money each team wins ... at the moment it's based on points at the end of the season

if they made it that only the podium positions counted ... so guy with the most number of wins, then in the case of a tie, most no of 2nds etc ... how would you work out what team gets what in terms of cash? ... as car mad put it why would teams like super aguri bother competing?

nige, why doesn't your userbar say "I love Kimi"?
    I'd rather be topless !

13. Iced_Bullet is offline Cheese=Milk's Death Route

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid_IV »
    I'd like to know how they'd work out the money each team wins ... at the moment it's based on points at the end of the season

if they made it that only the podium positions counted ... so guy with the most number of wins, then in the case of a tie, most no of 2nds etc ... how would you work out what team gets what in terms of cash? ... as car mad put it why would teams like super aguri bother competing?
    "The constructors would keep the existing system."
    Life is good. Simples. Cccchhhhh.

14. YeOldeTDUMan is offline working too much

OK I missed that bit.

I'd still stick with how it is at the moment and just make the gap wider between 1st and 2nd
    I'd rather be topless !

15. Nige is offline Buy American ....

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid_IV »

nige, why doesn't your userbar say "I love Kimi"?
    LOL .

Urmmm people will think I am a crazed Kimi fanboy .
    Canada 2010 Ice Hockey Winter Olympic Gold Medal winners!

16. craigie is offline I have the...

i don't like it and i think that Ecclestone's meddling a bit too much with the sport atm

Firstly, it takes out all the fun of the points system - think of the climax for the 2007 F1 and how gripping the final race was

Secondly, it practically removes the middle and back races. Only the front two teams would stand any chance of finishing first. There was only a couple of races in the last series that didnt end with either a Ferrari or a Mclaren upfront.

(Can anyone tell that i just discovered this part of the forum!)
    Foo Fighters @ Wembley - 6th June
    Fatboy Slim @ O2 Wireless Festival 2008

17. iBilo is offline ;)

I think we need the old F1 back...

With the turbos, no electronics, sequential gear stick you name it.