Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last

1. Ryzza5 is offline .

I wonder if that's the same for other countries. Although to be fair, these tests only tend to make the cars worse to live with day to day. Shifting to maintain as low revs as possible, cutting the engine at traffic lights, it's all a PITN to live with. I spent $600 on a sports steering wheel with gear-shift paddles and then $900 re-tuning the DSG box so that it uses 1750rpm as a minimum instead of 1400. It may use 0.2l/100kph more but it's so much more nicer to drive.

2. Ryzza5 is offline .

An update on the VW scandal

The New York Times

Looks like it's going to cost them big.

We don't appear to have anything like that down here. Cars only have to be tested as to roadworthiness when you buy/sell a car. Not every 6-12 months. And those roadworthiness checks don't include emissions monitoring.

I am however quite concerned about Australian standards on motorcycle helmets. Well, we don't even have a standard, as it's different from state to state. Ride across a border and you could be fined for wearing an illegal helmet. Out-of-date legislation also means that there is no such thing as a compliant helmet in my state today being sold. Being unable to import helmets reduces competition and sends prices sky high. Being unable to affix stickers means some who wear GoPros on their helmets have been fined.

European CE standards have been proven to be better, and are used in both F1 and MotoGP. To meet AU regulations, our helmets have to to be tested using a magnesium head, which is not a suitable analog for a human head. This means that to pass the test, the helmet must be heavier and more dense, which reduces the cushioning 'air-bag' effect of the foam and makes it more likely that a human skull would be damaged (as it's not made of magnesium). AU also has a spear penetration test, which doesn't exist for Europe, and according to crash statistics pretty much never happens in real life - this also reduces protection. Petitions have been around for a long time asking AU to either unify regulations across all states or preferably abolish them and permit riders to use any CE or DOT helmet.

You can read more here.

3. Camel is offline Legendary Classic

A potential penalty of $18billion in the US alone. And that's before they fix the issues which by the sounds of it can't be done without significant changes to the engines. And then the loss of sales as they've had to pull cars from sale. And then the damage to their brand as a whole.

Ouch. I know VAG are a humongous company but still, the cost to put all of this right would probably hurt even Apple.

4. Ryzza5 is offline .

Well at 35k per vehicle they've bassically been giving them away for free for the past 6 years then

5. The Compensator is offline Future heel&toe historian

Both EPA and ICCT performed real-world tests on trucks and passenger vehicles before "Dieselgate." The US isn't alone in this, though, as some European organization has done this as well but for some reason they kept it under the table...

In Europe, VW offers TDI's both with and without SCR. On paper, you cannot tell the difference because apart from eco specs (TDI SCR get a higher MPG and CO2) they are 100% identical. However, in real world the SCR-less engine is noticeably slower. Guess why.

Winterkorn's early response was ridiculous and for that alone he should be fired. It took VW a long time to admit the fault, too.

IMHO, the core problem is not in the technology. The problem is in the emission standards which are in many ways way too strict.

6. Microphone is offline #Myk2016

Are they too strict? I don't think they are, i just think the deadline of when they needed to be met was a bit too unrealistic perhaps.

Winterkorn has now gone, he says he was unaware of any wrongdoing. Whether this is true or not i'm unsure, as i'm sure VW will do everything possible to ensure that they find a scapegoat, preferably one that has already left the company.

Absolutely the most super of all the non-super moderators Your friendly community moderator.

7. Ryzza5 is offline .

It's always the guy at the top at fault. With such a massive company, perhaps the decision was made by some other director lower down the hierarchy, but a CEO and also a risk/compliance officer would at least need to be aware of that kind of thing.

I wonder if the strict emissions thing in California is at all related to their love of electric Priuses and Tesla SuperCharge stations. Perhaps VW should have been pushing a beta version of their Golf E exclusively there. I know it goes against their ethos, but anyway.

8. Microphone is offline #Myk2016

This has been going on for over a week now, the silence from other car companies other than defending themselves from accusations is rather deafening. The VW is a bohemeth and is rather aggressive with its growth strategy, if I were Fiat or Ford i'd be trying to kick them while they're down and this doesn't seem to be happening. There are obviously a lot of nervous auto execs in the world atm.

Absolutely the most super of all the non-super moderators Your friendly community moderator.

9. Ryzza5 is offline .

Or they're more interested in their personal career move options

10. CLR-GTR is offline Bunchie farmer

VW engineers have admitted to have developed the software, installed on cars since 2008. It was made top priority when the EA189 engine was discovered to never be able to meet the emission regulations.

German media say it's a group of 12 people responsible for this, including the chief of research and development at Audi.

11. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

evo have posted their review and video of the McLaren 570S.

McLaren 570S review - prices, specs and 0-60 time | Evo
    I'm a bit mental.

12. Microphone is offline #Myk2016

13. TIMELESS is offline Moderator

I.. can't believe that at some point, that drove out of a Bentley factory. *gouges eyes out*
    Last edited by TIMELESS; 30/10/15 at 20:16 PM.
    #LETSMAKETDUCKGREATAGAIN

Naturally Hans is wet, he’s standing under a waterfall.

14. Microphone is offline #Myk2016

Read the damn article

When repatriated to the mainland it was sent to renowned coach builders Coway Ltd of West Horton, Lancashire. At which time they embarked on converting the car to a station wagon. At the same time the car was completely re-trimmed in best quality hide along with a new headlining incorporating a DVD player.
    I absolutely love it, It's such a huge *middle finger emoji* to society

15. TIMELESS is offline Moderator

My bad, only got about half way through before I got a headache To be honest, if they repainted it to a more.. boring colour, I'd be okay with this. Wagons are the *sit*.
    #LETSMAKETDUCKGREATAGAIN

16. CLR-GTR is offline Bunchie farmer

Beginning of nearly the end? New cars added to the list, perhaps the living evidence of the story VW had a special department tasked with improving and further developing the ''cheating device''.

Volkswagen’s still untallied bill for its emissions violations just got bigger.

Today the Environmental Protections Agency and the California Air Resources Board notified the German auto manufacturer that it has identified emissions defeat devices installed in more vehicles throughout the Volkswagen Auto Group brand. The EPA and CARB says that VW, Audi and Porsche light duty diesel vehicles equipped with its 3.0 liter engines for model years 2014 through 2016 are also equipped with the defeat devices that throttle down nitrogen oxide (NOx) during emission testing. Volkswagen AG already was notified of violations found in VW and Audi vehicles equipped with its 2.0-liter diesel engine. The addition of the 3.0-liter diesel engine adds approximately 10,000 vehicles to the number of affected vehicles.

The expansion of the scandal from mainly VW to Audi and Porsche casts a dark shadow on these jewels of the VW AG crown. This could tarnish the reputation of these luxury manufacturers and potentially slow growth, even if only a small percentage of the vehicles are equipped with compromised diesel emissions systems.

“Audi, which has been on a roll in terms of sales, reputation and image of late, now is being drawn deeper into the quagmire,” says Michelle Krebs, senior analyst for Autotrader. “Previously, only the low-volume A3 was under scrutiny, but now Audi’s core models are under fire from regulators as well.”

Volkswagen will be required to fix these vehicle’s emissions systems, which on the road emit up to nine times EPA’s standard. CARB has set a November 20 deadline for the manufacturer to deliver a draft of recall plans.

Affected 2.0 liter diesel models include:

• Jetta (MY 2009 – 2015)
    • Jetta Sportwagen (MY 2009-2014)
    • Beetle (MY 2012 – 2015)
    • Beetle Convertible (MY 2012-2015)
    • Audi A3 (MY 2010 – 2015)
    • Golf (MY 2010 – 2015)
    • Golf Sportwagen (MY 2015)
    • Passat (MY 2012-2015)Affected 3.0 liter diesel models include:

• Volkswagen Touareg (MY 2014)
      • Porsche Cayenne (MY 2015)
      • Audi A6 Quattro (MY 2016)
      • Audi A7 Quattro (MY 2016)
      • Audi A8 (MY 2016)
      • Audi Q5 (MY 2016)
    Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/lianeyvk...s-grow-for-vw/

17. Ryzza5 is offline .

I wonder if this will somehow make the Audi S3 more affordable

18. TIMELESS is offline Moderator

I really hope Merc have been good.

TIL North Korea makes cars: Yes, North Korea makes cars, and here are the latest models
    #LETSMAKETDUCKGREATAGAIN

19. Ryzza5 is offline .

Porsche apparently also cheating, which infers dirt on the current/new VAG CEO as he used to look after Porsche. They're denying everything at this stage.

20. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

It's getting to the stage where everyone is guilty until innocent. So much news and scandal is coming out that you kind of a feeling about, then you hear someone else who you probably imagined would have been a great replacement has been doing the same!

So from now on I hate everyone until they prove they're good.
    I'm a bit mental.

Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last