1. Ozzmcom is offline BBW-ingame

Quote Originally Posted by hassan1995 »
    When you mean the end of the world how do you know the universe won't collapse with it? (which is a possibility the expansion is like an elastic band) if so what would be left, nothing? What is nothing? This thought has always baffled me what if the universe just disappears?
    you don't have to worry about it, you know nothingness better than what's like being alive. As neil degrasse tyson pointed out we weren't even around to ask these questions for the 99.9999% of the cosmic history.

I'll comment on these death of universe and earth discussions.
    First of all our solar system will be long gone before any of the predicted theories on death of the universe even begin to happen. Sun will become a red giant in around 5.4 billion years, that means it'll get as big as the inner solar system (sun to mars) but the earth will be long gone before that process, and human species will be long gone before earth is destroyed (We're actually on the verge of 6th mass extinction cycle on earth). The heat death of the universe as Andrez posted is just one of the theories that could happen as it's pretty hard to simulate billions of years we'll get there soon enough though.

2. CLR-GTR is offline Bunchie farmer

Humans have at most 600 million years before the sun terrorizes earth's atmosphere so bad that all plants die out. That means animals and we die out too. We have 600 million years to leave.

I hope they'll install some cameras in heat resistant housings so humanity can see how a red giant sunrise would look like

3. TIMELESS is offline Moderator

Well, if the rate of technological development continues at the current rate, in 600 million years it's likely we'll have moved planets, since that seems to be the plan currently. We'll probably have some indestructible GoPro 5000K cameras set up to document it
    #LETSMAKETDUCKGREATAGAIN

Naturally Hans is wet, he’s standing under a waterfall.

4. TDUFREAK500 is online now Rotary <3

The fact that there is more stars in the observable universe (and that's only the observable universe!) than grains of sand on every single beach in the world, really makes it seem impossible that we could be alone, I am pretty sure there is other life out there.

Flick
    r

Facebook
    My Website

Most professional photographers spend all our days in a
    seemingly lifelong pursuit for the perfect image. Personally,
    I know I’ll never shoot a “perfect image”
    - Larry Chen

5. Ozzmcom is offline BBW-ingame

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Softie »
    Well, if the rate of technological development continues at the current rate, in 600 million years it's likely we'll have moved planets, since that seems to be the plan currently. We'll probably have some indestructible GoPro 5000K cameras set up to document it
    not likely at all, I did read an article that mathematically formulated the possibility of interstellar travel by a famous astrophysicist and it basically points out there's not enough time for the technology to reach that level. I'll try to find that.

--- Post Updated ---

edit : Bad News: Interstellar Travel May Remain in Science Fiction

ok so couple more things, for us to reach the nearest star to our own solar system Proxima Centauri (4.2 light years away and has no planetery system) it would take us 19.000 years if we were to go at the speed of fastest man-made object to this date. Even if we managed to go at the speed of light which is the limit to how fast you can travel in space it would require a habitat that must be sustained for at least 4.2 years in interstellar space which is filled with radiation, asteroids and many more obsticles. That is certainly not happening any time soon at least.
    Last edited by Ozzmcom; 17/11/14 at 11:39 AM.

6. hassan1995 is offline ( •_•)( •_•)>⌐■-■(⌐■_■)

I doubt we would develop technology that would allow interstellar travel, to achieve that it would take a monumental time and dedication not to mention the available resources which are needed to produce these machines. However what's not to say whatever is out there has already developed such technology but is not aware of our solar system hence no communication.

7. Ozzmcom is offline BBW-ingame

additional resources for those who are interested :
    Barnard
    Fermi paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. CLR-GTR is offline Bunchie farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzmcom »
    Even if we managed to go at the speed of light which is the limit to how fast you can travel in space it would require a habitat that must be sustained for at least 4.2 years in interstellar space which is filled with radiation, asteroids and many more obsticles. That is certainly not happening any time soon at least.
    They say the warp drive principle creates a bubble around the ship that protects everything inside from the outside and the massive speed... Who knows if that might offer us enough protection. Such a ship would be extremely big so it would be built in space I assume like the ISS. Problem is indeed it needs to be a residence for many years for so many people. You can't just pile up a million people in a canister and keep them frozen until we'd get there. xD

9. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

Aren't we already looking into cryostasis too though?
    I'm a bit mental.

10. CLR-GTR is offline Bunchie farmer

Yes, NASA started experiments to apply this for near-future Mars travel. It eliminates so much room, comfort and life-support that it keeps the size of the craft small (or all that room can be used for way more payload) which requires less fuel.

11. TIMELESS is offline Moderator

NASA's Orion Test Flight Gets Us Closer To Mars

NASA is launching its boldest test flight in decades this week. An unmanned capsule will head off on Thursday to reach a distance of 3,600 miles from Earth—the farthest space mission with a craft designed to accommodate humans since the final Apollo 17 trip to the moon in 1972.

On its first flight Thursday, the Orion capsule will orbit earth twice, carrying 1,200 sensors. After a flight of four hours and 24 minutes, Orion will drop into the Pacific Ocean about 600 miles from San Diego, slowed to about 17 miles per hour by large parachutes. The USS Anchorage will collect the capsule.
    #LETSMAKETDUCKGREATAGAIN

12. TIMELESS is offline Moderator

On phone so can't sauce but it's been pushed back 24 hours due to winds, misfiring valves and "encroaching boats".
    #LETSMAKETDUCKGREATAGAIN

13. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

I think that may be the one my kid brother's name is on with that Boarding Pass thing they did.
    I'm a bit mental.

14. TIMELESS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo »
    I think that may be the one my kid brother's name is on with that Boarding Pass thing they did.
    Haha really? I don't think I've heard about that before. That's pretty cool though!
    #LETSMAKETDUCKGREATAGAIN

15. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

Yeah here's the link: Send Your Name to Mars (closed now obviously)
    I'm a bit mental.

16. TIMELESS is offline Moderator

*flaps* The time zones must have confused me because it's already happened

#LETSMAKETDUCKGREATAGAIN

17. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

Yep there's been a really good amount of shots from multiple locations such as the ISS, the craft itself and the ground. They even have a drone flying over the landing zone to catch it's return to earth.
    I'm a bit mental.

18. TIMELESS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo »
    Yep there's been a really good amount of shots from multiple locations such as the ISS, the craft itself and the ground. They even have a drone flying over the landing zone to catch it's return to earth.
    Any idea when it returns? I clearly haven't got a clue here Would really like to see a live stream of it this time
    #LETSMAKETDUCKGREATAGAIN

19. CLR-GTR is offline Bunchie farmer

Wiki:

the mission will be a multi-hour, two-orbit test of the Orion Crew Module featuring a high apogee on the second orbit and a high-energy reentry at around 20,000 miles per hour (32,000 km/h; 8,900 m/s)

20. CLR-GTR is offline Bunchie farmer

Philae entered hibernation, but we have something else floating around that has woken up:

On Pluto's Doorstep, NASA's New Horizons Spacecraft Awakens for Encounter | NASA

Quite an important bit of equipment, because it will be the first one to deliver footage from ''near by'' of Pluto. So far all imagery that exists of Pluto is either generated on very rough composition data from other probes and earth-based observations, or it's simply an artistic impression. Nice little touch: New Horizons carries a portion of the ashes of its discoverer, Clyde Tombaugh.