Thread: Geek thread

Results 1 to 13 of 13

  1. kalniel is offline Hypercar Enthusiast
    Location: uk
    Posts: 571

    #1

    Default Geek thread

    Warning - naked computer pictures below!















    Okay, I couldn't resist a cheap pair of RAM sticks the other day and finally got a chance to bung them in. The geek in me wouldn't forgive me if I didn't take some pictures of the current state of the computer Yes, I know, it looks a mess, but it's actually deliberate to keep the airflow in the key areas perfect






  2. HavockJoker is offline PGR4 Master
    Location: New Jersey, USA
    Posts: 1,532

    #2

    Default

    Nice, but why ATI?




  3. kalniel is offline Hypercar Enthusiast
    Location: uk
    Posts: 571

    #3

    Default

    Simple: AA+HDR

    At the time no other cards were capable of doing that (geforce 8800 hadn't been announced yet), also the 1950xt was great performance for the money (especially in Oblivion), and I can also use it for modelling simulations (like folding) - something you still can't do on other cards.

  4. ShadowGT is offline I <3 Boobies!
     
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Posts: 3,198

    #4

    Default

    Whoa!! COMPUTER PORN!!!

    Leader & Founder of the "Ponies of War" Gaming Comunity

  5. HavockJoker is offline PGR4 Master
    Location: New Jersey, USA
    Posts: 1,532

    #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowGT »
    Whoa!! COMPUTER PORN!!!
    This is the best one I've ever seen!!!




  6. RB26DETT is offline Banned
    Location: Manila, Philippines
    Posts: 5,389

    #6

    Default

    that GPU is mahooosive!!!

    is that a CPU heatsink? what brand/model?

  7. kalniel is offline Hypercar Enthusiast
    Location: uk
    Posts: 571

    #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RB26DETT »
    that GPU is mahooosive!!!
    LOL not really - it's quite small for a dual slot GPU. Have you seen modern ones?!

    is that a CPU heatsink? what brand/model?
    Yup - artic cooler 64 pro.

  8. Camel is offline Legendary Classic
      
    Posts: 11,510

    #8

    Default

    nice comp. i'll have to put pics of mine when i build it.

  9. RB26DETT is offline Banned
    Location: Manila, Philippines
    Posts: 5,389

    #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel »
    LOL not really - it's quite small for a dual slot GPU. Have you seen modern ones?!.
    Lol! Compared to mine, that thing is huge! What GPU do you have? I've heard the 3870 takes up two slots cause it's huuuuuuuuuuuge!

  10. kalniel is offline Hypercar Enthusiast
    Location: uk
    Posts: 571

    #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RB26DETT »
    Lol! Compared to mine, that thing is huge! What GPU do you have? I've heard the 3870 takes up two slots cause it's huuuuuuuuuuuge!
    Does no-one read posts earlier in the thread or even check out people's 'gaming rig' in the profile??

    It's an ATI x1950xt.

    Taking up two slots isn't really a sign of being huge - it's more a thermal characteristic in that two-slot coolers work a lot better at extracting heat from the case. So hot cards (mine falls under this category) tend to have two-slot coolers.

    You can't really see it, but directly in line with the air intake on the x1950xt there is a fan on my case pulling air in at the front - so air comes in the front, directly through the GPU, and out the back of the case. This keeps the temperatures of the GPU down, and just as importantly, doesn't heat up the rest of the system.

  11. Camel is offline Legendary Classic
      
    Posts: 11,510

    #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel »
    Does no-one read posts earlier in the thread or even check out people's 'gaming rig' in the profile??

    It's an ATI x1950xt.

    Taking up two slots isn't really a sign of being huge - it's more a thermal characteristic in that two-slot coolers work a lot better at extracting heat from the case. So hot cards (mine falls under this category) tend to have two-slot coolers.

    You can't really see it, but directly in line with the air intake on the x1950xt there is a fan on my case pulling air in at the front - so air comes in the front, directly through the GPU, and out the back of the case. This keeps the temperatures of the GPU down, and just as importantly, doesn't heat up the rest of the system.
    What case have you got? and i think it will be cooler inside my comps case because it will have a 5inch fan on the front, an exhaust on the GPU, medium sized fan on the side, a large one on the back and a PCI thing that pulls cold air into the case next to the GPU.

  12. kalniel is offline Hypercar Enthusiast
    Location: uk
    Posts: 571

    #12

    Default

    Coolermaster Centurion 5

    You have to be careful with side mounted fans as they can hinder the airflow rather than help it. But it also depends on your CPU cooler - mine is the type that goes inline with the flow from front to back (the whole front of my case is mesh). Side fans are helpful for retail coolers that just suck air down ontop of the CPU.

  13. kalniel is offline Hypercar Enthusiast
    Location: uk
    Posts: 571

    #13

    Default

    Airflow diagram :P



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

about us

  • turboduck is a community that is dedicated to driving and racing games of all types on all platforms. Whether it's ticking off the miles/kilometres while exploring an open world, crashing and exploding everything in an insane balls-to-the-wall arcade racer, or nailing down every apex and trimming off every tenth possible in authentic sim-racing. It's all up for discussion as we enjoy the virtual cars, bikes, and everything else that these games offer. So join us, jump into the discussions, and don't think too much about why a 'duck' is our mascot. ;)
turboduck twitter turboduck facebook turboduck youtube turboduck twitter turboduck rss