1. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

Well yet again you continue to impress as personally I couldn't detect the usual AI traits that games have with their car handling and racing. And I genuinely mean it, even when the car in front was in positions that would normally see most games apply the brakes hard or switch from side to side the video had none of that. Not to mention the fluid car control when the car was stepping out.

If I had to guess though, I would say you were the blue and if you weren't then bravo as that is some unbelievable driving for an AI in my opinion. And even if I am right it is still very natural in a lot of its behaviour, which is kind of scary.
    I'm a bit mental.

2. DJSalajutsu is offline Rusted Banger

I......oh my...color me impressed. This is just by Soul Challenger? alone? whether it is or not, VERY impressive.

I think I have to agree. That's just about the best AI in terms of natural...uh...ness, that I've seen.

physically, graphically....

Instantly bookmarked, I really like.

3. Soul Challenger is offline on speed

@Diablo & @DJSalajutsu Thank you! It's really great help to get this kind of feedback. Also, I'm probably too deeply invested in this and lack distance so your opinion is very important. I'm a bit sad that not more people wanted to participate in the previous guessing game - but, maybe it's a good sign

Well, time for some news!

I've further perfected the AI driving, and because I'm finally quite happy with it, I started working on stopping maneuvers during the past months.

Most games will just spawn many cars coming from all directions, mindlessly ramming the player. I wanted to do something slightly more advanced and try a quality over quantity approach. OK, so how do you stop a car with a single vehicle?

After extensive testing, it appears that the most effective way, is to perform a PIT maneuver. But then what? I need the player car to be immobilized, at least for some time, so the mean blokes can exit their car(s) and finish the job. Ideally the player car would get pushed into slippery terrain where it will take time to recover - or get pushed into a tree/building/streetlamp dealing significant damage to the car. So I came up with this enhancement where the player car will be pushed right after the PIT is performed. It's called Pit n' Push :

Side-ramming is quite fine too, but there have to be road-side objects present for it to work:

Blocking doesn't really work with a single enemy car (+ it's somewhat annoying). With a heavier car it's better and I'll keep it, for once I start implementing multiple enemy car behaviours. For example: one car would block in front and another car at the back would perform a PIT.

4. TIMELESS is offline Moderator

The AI looks absolutely incredible. Reminds me of the crazy police in Driv3r
    #LETSMAKETDUCKGREATAGAIN

Naturally Hans is wet, he’s standing under a waterfall.

5. Djey is online now Car Aficianado

That's a very interesting project. Thanks for sharing news

We all need next gen of driving games, and your AI would fit special police units very well
    Give life back to TDU: #TDUForever
    Projects: TDUF | TDUMT | Community Patch 2.00A
    Buy me a beer (donate)

6. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

I'm starting to think you are an AI yourself now.

Seriously though, the thinking and smooth motions that the AI takes in doing these actions is so much more natural than almost any other game I can think of. The gentle use of brakes, the swerving out and then back in to increase momentum when the cars collide and then the way they turn to cut you off from driving away. You have a real talent and it's not just in the one area either, as the visuals and physics that can be seen show.

Thank you again for showing us an update.
    I'm a bit mental.

7. Camel is offline Legendary Classic

That looks incredible! As you say, much better than just spawning AI after AI that ram you. Looks like it's great fun and very difficult trying to escape form them.

8. hassan1995 is offline ( •_•)( •_•)>⌐■-■(⌐■_■)

Indeed this looks absolutely incredible! Keep up with the progress, this is coming up real good.

9. Soul Challenger is offline on speed

Thank you all for the great feedback I'm really happy there are still some people who feel that competent AI is meaningful. I've recently started a topic about this and felt quite disheartened after reading most of the opinions: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/solved-reasons-for-horrible-artificial-intelligence-in-aaa-games.400473/#post-2616789

10. Soul Challenger is offline on speed

Some news: Time Rodent, the short animation film, from which this game takes some inspiration, will be broadcasted on Arte this upcoming weekend (+ available for watching for 7 days). World premiere!

http://www.arte.tv/guide/fr/051125-000-A/time-rodent

11. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

Nuts, not available for me by the look of it.
    I'm a bit mental.

12. Ryzza5 is offline .

Ai is one of the biggest things that keeps me coming back to Project CARS - I know if I get their difficulty number just right I can have battles against them on track 90% as good as if in a professional multiplayer league.

13. Microphone is offline #Myk2016

Not checked this thread in quite a while and i'm pleasantly surprised in what i've just seen, the AI etc all look rather incredible and very different to what is on offer at the moment Hope everything is going okay behind the scenes as this seems rather promising!

Absolutely the most super of all the non-super moderators Your friendly community moderator.

14. Soul Challenger is offline on speed

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo »
    Nuts, not available for me by the look of it.
    Apparently it's only available for viewing in France and Germany. Sorry for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzza5 »
    Ai is one of the biggest things that keeps me coming back to Project CARS - I know if I get their difficulty number just right I can have battles against them on track 90% as good as if in a professional multiplayer league.
    Yeah, I'm thinking good AI can be fun - maybe more than real humans where there's always a percentage of bored ones that like to ram.

Quote Originally Posted by #Myk2016 »
    Not checked this thread in quite a while and i'm pleasantly surprised in what i've just seen, the AI etc all look rather incredible and very different to what is on offer at the moment Hope everything is going okay behind the scenes as this seems rather promising!
    Thanks for your feedback It's getting there... Applying for funding next month - hopefully a playable demo asap.

Some news Been trying to implement terrain deformation since a long time - finally I have found a solution that has almost no negative impact on performance. So much more fun driving offroad now. Here's a small preview:

15. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

That looks like a fun challenge. Just imagining the environment and the AI you are showing for this title makes me think this game is really going to put up a real fight against the player... in a good way!
    I'm a bit mental.

16. Soul Challenger is offline on speed

That looks like a fun challenge. Just imagining the environment and the AI you are showing for this title makes me think this game is really going to put up a real fight against the player... in a good way!
    Yeah, it will be a fine balancing act to make sure the challenge doesn't veer into frustrating territory. Like getting stuck in the mud for too long - although Spintires fans seemed to love it...

Anyway, I know you're all, hopefully, enjoying ''The Second Coming" (I won't be, because widnows10)...
    here's a recent test I did, an additional "fight against the player" situation :

17. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

"Right lads, let's get him!"

That looks so funny when they all leap out and race over to beat on the player car, seems dangerous too as the driver doesn't seem to care about their well-being and then them running like madmen at the end as the car starts to make a break for it. I can just imagine the sound effects in that moment and it's making me laugh.
    I'm a bit mental.

18. Damys is offline TDU2 Sound Modder

looks really nice.. the graphic is amazing..i would like to see an Arizona style map with gas station, motel and looong highway..and a challenger rt...ok this is my dream

19. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

You're getting noticed by some influential people Soul and that shout out for calling your game 'Nightmare Fuel' is a good one!
    I'm a bit mental.

20. Soul Challenger is offline on speed

You're getting noticed by some influential people Soul and that shout out for calling your game 'Nightmare Fuel' is a good one!

Have to thank you so much for sharing this with us. You are extremely talented and it is great to see it being seen by more of the main people.
    Yes, I'm really glad that the game project got noticed New article published yesterday: https://killscreen.com/articles/driving-game-inspired-creators-real-life-escape-soviet-union/

Always happy to post updates here! Started doing some in-engine concept art. More to come

Search Tags

adventure
driving
game
upcoming