Thread: PotW Banner

1. Iced_Bullet is offline Cheese=Milk's Death Route

Default PotW Banner

I'm guessing every winner is going to be put in the banner, I was wondering if the orginial picture could be put up, ie. not the shrunk one. Just to get rid of the "blurred effect"

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of putting the winner in the banner, and I definately wouldn't be able to code a picture into it, I just didn't know how else to phrase ^

Life is good. Simples. Cccchhhhh.

2. Car Freak is offline loves dirt too

basically, in this picture, everything on the right of the bike...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    You're impossible, Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Impossible is nothing. Therefore I am nothing...

3. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

That would be possible as all I would need to is make the div background the image itself but it would mean you would need to set a size for the images being posted as being at least 1000 pixels wide.

At the moment I am working on a random display script so that it will vary the banner shown up top, just trying to see how you incorporate it into vBulletin is all.
    I'm a bit mental.

4. Nodz86 is offline ____________

Really liking the Idea of the PotW being in the banner and having it change when you navigate to different pages is a really good idea.

Shame it ain't easy to get the pics off the 360

5. Iced_Bullet is offline Cheese=Milk's Death Route

Quote Originally Posted by Car Freak »
    basically, in this picture, everything on the right of the bike...
    Nope, the original pictre (which will be 1280px wide) placed in the banner. not the shrunk 800px wide photo. This means there is no need for the £blurred" effect to the right of the bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo »
    That would be possible as all I would need to is make the div background the image itself but it would mean you would need to set a size for the images being posted as being at least 1000 pixels wide.

At the moment I am working on a random display script so that it will vary the banner shown up top, just trying to see how you incorporate it into vBulletin is all.
    If it's a difficult task then there's no need to change it, I was just wondering if it could be done if it was an easy process Good work so far

6. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

What to remember is that recurring background is only there because the div is bigger than the image due to your monitor resolution. Someone on 800x600 hardly sees any blurred background, 1024x768 sees slightly more and so on.

It works in reverse also though with a bigger background image then those on lower resolutions may only see the trees and the road but no bike whereas those on 1280 and higher will see the full picture and then just a blank space where the image has ended. You also need to remember that larger images equate to bigger filesizes, I am trying to keep the header images below 30Kb as right now I this front page is verging on 100Kb so 10 people download that's 1Mb, 100 = 10Mb, a 1000 = 100Mb and 10,000 downloads = 1Gb. Taking into account that we are on about 20-30,000 visitors a month this would equal a fair amount of bandwidth.

I'll definitely look into it though.
    I'm a bit mental.

7. Speed is offline Can You Feel It?

What to remember is that recurring background is only there because the div is bigger than the image due to your monitor resolution. Someone on 800x600 hardly sees any blurred background, 1024x768 sees slightly more and so on.

It works in reverse also though with a bigger background image then those on lower resolutions may only see the trees and the road but no bike whereas those on 1280 and higher will see the full picture and then just a blank space where the image has ended. You also need to remember that larger images equate to bigger filesizes, I am trying to keep the header images below 30Kb as right now I this front page is verging on 100Kb so 10 people download that's 1Mb, 100 = 10Mb, a 1000 = 100Mb and 10,000 downloads = 1Gb. Taking into account that we are on about 20-30,000 visitors a month this would equal a fair amount of bandwidth.

Very interesting, thanks for putting it all into perspective for those of us a little more simple minded about websites and such

8. Iced_Bullet is offline Cheese=Milk's Death Route

Quote Originally Posted by Speed »
    Very interesting, thanks for putting it all into perspective for those of us a little more simple minded about websites and such
    Exactly what I would have said in responce Speed

Thanks for the technical update As I just take site for granted and don't know about anything that goes into them etc

9. Nipper is offline \/ The REAL TDUCk \/

I know this may be the wrong place to ask but, if people get pictures off the 360 can they be put into the POTW competition?
    Or is it strictly PC?

Obviously as long as the quality is good..
    ||||||||||||||||||
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

10. Speed is offline Can You Feel It?

Quote Originally Posted by N1PPER »
    I know this may be the wrong place to ask but, if people get pictures off the 360 can they be put into the POTW competition?
    Or is it strictly PC?

Obviously as long as the quality is good..
    Of course, feel free

11. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

Unfortunately quality is not a strong point in the Xbox 360 images, you need to usually resize them to have a good looking image. Damn compression that is forced upon developers. Wonder if PGR4 will look as good as PGR3 did without hardly any compression. Speaking of which, PGR4 is out in North America today!
    I'm a bit mental.

12. fourtata Guest

quality is not a strong point in the Xbox 360 images
      X

13. StrickenHAWK? is offline Car Aficianado

Thread date? 10-4-2007. nearly 2 years old mate.

14. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

It's a spammer as all he's done is grab a line from my post and he's linking his site in the sig. Looks like I need to add to the human verification images.
    I'm a bit mental.

15. StrickenHAWK? is offline Car Aficianado

yes i noticed that he took a line.

16. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

Knuckles you know you can select English UK for your Language so you have correct date and time formats as well as your ise's and such? Goto your User CP and then look at Edit Options and it's at the bottom.
    I'm a bit mental.

17. StrickenHAWK? is offline Car Aficianado

thanks.