Thread: PotW Banner

Results 1 to 17 of 17

  1. Iced_Bullet is offline Cheese=Milk's Death Route
     
    Location: Norfolk, UK
    Posts: 6,310

    #1

    Default PotW Banner

    I'm guessing every winner is going to be put in the banner, I was wondering if the orginial picture could be put up, ie. not the shrunk one. Just to get rid of the "blurred effect"

    Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of putting the winner in the banner, and I definately wouldn't be able to code a picture into it, I just didn't know how else to phrase ^

    Life is good. Simples. Cccchhhhh.


  2. Car Freak is offline loves dirt too
    Location: Singapore
    Posts: 3,066

    #2

    Default

    basically, in this picture, everything on the right of the bike...


    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    You're impossible, Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Impossible is nothing. Therefore I am nothing...

  3. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!
     
    Location: Scotland, UK
    Posts: 20,265

    #3

    Default

    That would be possible as all I would need to is make the div background the image itself but it would mean you would need to set a size for the images being posted as being at least 1000 pixels wide.

    At the moment I am working on a random display script so that it will vary the banner shown up top, just trying to see how you incorporate it into vBulletin is all.
    I'm a bit mental.

  4. Nodz86 is offline ____________
     
    Location: Essex, England
    Posts: 3,209

    #4

    Default

    Really liking the Idea of the PotW being in the banner and having it change when you navigate to different pages is a really good idea.

    Shame it ain't easy to get the pics off the 360

  5. Iced_Bullet is offline Cheese=Milk's Death Route
     
    Location: Norfolk, UK
    Posts: 6,310

    #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Car Freak »
    basically, in this picture, everything on the right of the bike...
    Nope, the original pictre (which will be 1280px wide) placed in the banner. not the shrunk 800px wide photo. This means there is no need for the £blurred" effect to the right of the bike!

    Quote Originally Posted by Diablo »
    That would be possible as all I would need to is make the div background the image itself but it would mean you would need to set a size for the images being posted as being at least 1000 pixels wide.

    At the moment I am working on a random display script so that it will vary the banner shown up top, just trying to see how you incorporate it into vBulletin is all.
    If it's a difficult task then there's no need to change it, I was just wondering if it could be done if it was an easy process Good work so far
    Life is good. Simples. Cccchhhhh.

  6. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!
     
    Location: Scotland, UK
    Posts: 20,265

    #6

    Default

    What to remember is that recurring background is only there because the div is bigger than the image due to your monitor resolution. Someone on 800x600 hardly sees any blurred background, 1024x768 sees slightly more and so on.

    It works in reverse also though with a bigger background image then those on lower resolutions may only see the trees and the road but no bike whereas those on 1280 and higher will see the full picture and then just a blank space where the image has ended. You also need to remember that larger images equate to bigger filesizes, I am trying to keep the header images below 30Kb as right now I this front page is verging on 100Kb so 10 people download that's 1Mb, 100 = 10Mb, a 1000 = 100Mb and 10,000 downloads = 1Gb. Taking into account that we are on about 20-30,000 visitors a month this would equal a fair amount of bandwidth.

    I'll definitely look into it though.
    I'm a bit mental.

  7. Speed is offline Can You Feel It?
     
    Location: Norfolk, UK
    Posts: 2,724

    #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diablo »
    What to remember is that recurring background is only there because the div is bigger than the image due to your monitor resolution. Someone on 800x600 hardly sees any blurred background, 1024x768 sees slightly more and so on.

    It works in reverse also though with a bigger background image then those on lower resolutions may only see the trees and the road but no bike whereas those on 1280 and higher will see the full picture and then just a blank space where the image has ended. You also need to remember that larger images equate to bigger filesizes, I am trying to keep the header images below 30Kb as right now I this front page is verging on 100Kb so 10 people download that's 1Mb, 100 = 10Mb, a 1000 = 100Mb and 10,000 downloads = 1Gb. Taking into account that we are on about 20-30,000 visitors a month this would equal a fair amount of bandwidth.

    I'll definitely look into it though.
    Very interesting, thanks for putting it all into perspective for those of us a little more simple minded about websites and such

  8. Iced_Bullet is offline Cheese=Milk's Death Route
     
    Location: Norfolk, UK
    Posts: 6,310

    #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diablo »
    What to remember is that recurring background is only there because the div is bigger than the image due to your monitor resolution. Someone on 800x600 hardly sees any blurred background, 1024x768 sees slightly more and so on.

    It works in reverse also though with a bigger background image then those on lower resolutions may only see the trees and the road but no bike whereas those on 1280 and higher will see the full picture and then just a blank space where the image has ended. You also need to remember that larger images equate to bigger filesizes, I am trying to keep the header images below 30Kb as right now I this front page is verging on 100Kb so 10 people download that's 1Mb, 100 = 10Mb, a 1000 = 100Mb and 10,000 downloads = 1Gb. Taking into account that we are on about 20-30,000 visitors a month this would equal a fair amount of bandwidth.

    I'll definitely look into it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed »
    Very interesting, thanks for putting it all into perspective for those of us a little more simple minded about websites and such
    Exactly what I would have said in responce Speed

    Thanks for the technical update As I just take site for granted and don't know about anything that goes into them etc
    Life is good. Simples. Cccchhhhh.

  9. Nipper is offline \/ The REAL TDUCk \/
     
    Location: Bongland
    Posts: 2,003

    #9

    Default

    I know this may be the wrong place to ask but, if people get pictures off the 360 can they be put into the POTW competition?
    Or is it strictly PC?

    Obviously as long as the quality is good..
    ||||||||||||||||||
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

  10. Speed is offline Can You Feel It?
     
    Location: Norfolk, UK
    Posts: 2,724

    #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by N1PPER »
    I know this may be the wrong place to ask but, if people get pictures off the 360 can they be put into the POTW competition?
    Or is it strictly PC?

    Obviously as long as the quality is good..
    Of course, feel free

  11. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!
     
    Location: Scotland, UK
    Posts: 20,265

    #11

    Default

    Unfortunately quality is not a strong point in the Xbox 360 images, you need to usually resize them to have a good looking image. Damn compression that is forced upon developers. Wonder if PGR4 will look as good as PGR3 did without hardly any compression. Speaking of which, PGR4 is out in North America today!
    I'm a bit mental.

  12. fourtata Guest
    Posts: n/a
    #12

    Default

    quality is not a strong point in the Xbox 360 images
      X

  13. StrickenHAWK? is offline Car Aficianado
    Location: Australia
    Posts: 1,746

    #13

    Default

    Thread date? 10-4-2007. nearly 2 years old mate.






  14. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!
     
    Location: Scotland, UK
    Posts: 20,265

    #14

    Default

    It's a spammer as all he's done is grab a line from my post and he's linking his site in the sig. Looks like I need to add to the human verification images.
    I'm a bit mental.

  15. StrickenHAWK? is offline Car Aficianado
    Location: Australia
    Posts: 1,746

    #15

    Default

    yes i noticed that he took a line.






  16. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!
     
    Location: Scotland, UK
    Posts: 20,265

    #16

    Default

    Knuckles you know you can select English UK for your Language so you have correct date and time formats as well as your ise's and such? Goto your User CP and then look at Edit Options and it's at the bottom.
    I'm a bit mental.

  17. StrickenHAWK? is offline Car Aficianado
    Location: Australia
    Posts: 1,746

    #17

    Default

    thanks.







 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

about us

  • turboduck is a community that is dedicated to driving and racing games of all types on all platforms. Whether it's ticking off the miles/kilometres while exploring an open world, crashing and exploding everything in an insane balls-to-the-wall arcade racer, or nailing down every apex and trimming off every tenth possible in authentic sim-racing. It's all up for discussion as we enjoy the virtual cars, bikes, and everything else that these games offer. So join us, jump into the discussions, and don't think too much about why a 'duck' is our mascot. ;)
turboduck twitter turboduck facebook turboduck youtube turboduck twitter turboduck rss