1. Demosthenes is offline Just a Skidmark

Default I can hear the game, but screen goes black

My notebook:

Dell inspiron 8600
    Intel pentium m 1,7GHz (not quite the same as a pentium 4 1,7 Ghz)
    1GB Ram
    ATI Mobility radeon 9600 pro turbo, (which does not meet the official standard but I've seen post with people saying it works!)

however,

I've installed the game and tried to run it, but I only see a black screen...
    I can hear the inro sounds but I don't see anything! When I hit Alt-Tab I can sometimes see the menu for a tenth of a second before returning to my desktop. The menu which i see for a sec when hitting Alt-Tab has loaded normally and is waiting for the key.

I would say it is the radeon 9600 that fails but since I heared that others can run the game with it I doubt that.

I have updated my drivers so that can't be it. Anybody has any suggestions?

2. fuelmyfire is offline Rusted Banger

I had that problem and I ended up buying a new comp just to run this game :P u deffo need a new processor and a better/bigger graphix card
    Your signature has been removed because it's over the size limit stated in the rules.

Currently Driving: DB4 GT Zagato

3. Demosthenes is offline Just a Skidmark

Quote Originally Posted by fuelmyfire »
    I had that problem and I ended up buying a new comp just to run this game :P u deffo need a new processor and a better/bigger graphix card
    I guess that is the one single solution I could have thought of myself
    The main problem is that it is a notebook and is therefore not easily updated, and since it is only two years old its a bit early to replace it.

What I didn't mention, is that I have a quite similar problem with San Andreas Multiplayer, at startup sound and everything works but I can't see anything. However, with SA MP the problem is solved by simply pressing Alt-Tab twice.

I was thinking that it might be my mediocre resolution (1280 x 800 max).

4. fuelmyfire is offline Rusted Banger

try changing your desktop's rez to the lowest it can go and then start up the game, then go to setting and change the video settings to the lowest they can go. As you said it will run but not look to nice
    Your signature has been removed because it's over the size limit stated in the rules.

Currently Driving: DB4 GT Zagato

5. no friends is offline Just a Skidmark

Quote Originally Posted by fuelmyfire »
    That processor is fine tbh.

Its your graphics card that isn't supported.