1. Car Freak is offline loves dirt too

Quote Originally Posted by Nige »
    Nascar is a good sport and you know what ? I find Nascar more exciting than f1 and thats before we have even talked about the Nascar road races .... now those make for some essential viewing .

So in conclusion NASCAR is a good sport and frankly I don't know what eveyones beef is with the sport, its fast, its entertaining, its exciting and there is plenty of overtaking. I mean honestly what more could you want from a motorsport ?????

Still it doesn't beat sportscar racing though ..... Sportscar racing is the future according to the great man that is Tom Kristensen .
    Hear! Hear!

(And I don't even follow NASCAR )

Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    You're impossible, Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Impossible is nothing. Therefore I am nothing...

2. RedCarDriver is offline I <3 Edit Button

NASCAR is, first and foremost, an endurance sport. And a sport involving team coordination. And, much like drag racing, a sport involving pure mechanical luck. Games simulating NASCAR have none of these factors, therefore NASCAR is only really fun in real life.

Hypothetically, that is. I personally don't watch NASCAR, despite living in a NASCAR-fan-heavy area. If you said the name of a NASCAR driver, I could tell you that he's a NASCAR driver, but that's about it.

Drifting is an entirely different ball game - er, game. Huge amounts of coordination, practice, and skill are needed, and the car used matters a lot more because cars vary more in drift racing. It's more like GT or rallying in that regard, but then you throw in the even greater variety of cars... well, alright, it's pretty much like no other motorsport.

3. Car Freak is offline loves dirt too

NASCAR = spectacular crashes. The end

You're impossible, Mark

4. Sponge is offline Spongify

I personally don't like NASCAR at all. But I can see why it can be liked, with the strategic pitting and all that jazzy stuff. I prefer overtakes and right turns >.< but hey, one man's rubbish is another man's treasure, so to speak

SOOAG - Smug Owner of a G27
    Winner POTW: Week 28, 53

Proud Owner Of TDU's FIRST Manual Shift Gallardo
    Flickr
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

5. CobraDBlade is offline Bought a Supra. Tada!

NASCAR is more a sport for the pit crew, but the drivers do need to have a fair amount of skill too. I was actually involved in a circle track team for a while and while I admit that watching the race is downright boring, the amount of setup that goes into each car and being able to drive that setup to its maximum potential requires just as much skill as any other motor sport. Besides, many of the NASCAR drivers participate in other motorsports, so there really isn't a lack of talent behind the wheel. It's just that NASCAR is a simple form of racing that people who know nothing about racing can enjoy. It's loud, it's colorful, there is plenty of speed, the tracks are small enough that you can see the whole race from your seat, and there is the occasional crash. Compare that to say the WTCC or STCC where your seat may only have a single straight or between 1-3 turns in view and the racing is very technical, and you can see why people who really don't go that in depth into racing wouldn't be all that drawn in.

There is no such thing as too much power. However, there is such a thing as not enough traction.

6. Diablo is offline I'm Delicious!

Brands Hatch doesn't have that problem though.

Plus BTCC viewing and attendance figures keep growing because the racing is just that good, seriously review this year at Rockingham and Brands Hatch ...oh yeah Knockhill ....and Thruxton ....Oulton Park too ...well you get the idea.
    I'm a bit mental.

7. Clint the pimp is offline Official fish drifter.
    Location: carboard box, bristol road, selly oak, birmingham, england, europe, earth, solar system, universe

i agree with diablo, some motorsports are just downright boring, even forms of circuit racing (f1 for example) watching sport on tv and in real life are 2 comepletly different experiences e.g going to silverstone this year to wacth a round of the bttc, i can tell you, a simple tap to a car on the television isnt too exciting, but just watching the car kick its tail out in real life is really exciting. i can imagine that nascar can seem quite boring to watch even live,until we have something interesting happening like in the video that spinach posted.

8. DriftNismo is offline 87 Civic GT

I never took much of a liking to BTCC... Not because of the type of racing, just the lack of interesting cars IMO. Personally, I prefer Time Attack, but every man's sport to his own. And NASCAR takes no skill? Yeah, I guess you're right. I guess a dog could definitely drive for 500 miles at 200mph with 40+ other cars very closely to each other. [/sarcasm].

It takes lots of skill. Just because you don't need to know how to initiate, control and come out of 70mph slides at optimum speed and angle, or maintain perfect throttle/clutch control to get perfect launches and shifts on a drag strip, it doesn't mean you don't need to know anything. You need to follow a specific line to maintain optimum speed at all times at the same time as not making contact with the other cars around you. You have to make decisions on whether you have enough space and time to overtake another car, and what position on the line you'll be in after you've overtaken and how that will effect your speed for the next few laps with about half a second to think about it. You make one small jolt or timing mistake and... well, I'm sure you've seen the huge crashes that happen on a regular basis. If you can find a dog that can last 1 race in NASCAR, you'll be a very rich man.

9. zo6dude is offline Like My Tail Lights?

"Real men know how to turn right"
    - Me

10. T0M722 is offline "POWWEERRRR!!"

What's with the massive bump? I don't believe Nascar involves as much skill as other motorsports and it's not as exciting. I would choose any other motorsport over it.

Flickr

TDU2 '11 (we're hoping ^^)

11. Car Freak is offline loves dirt too

Nah, it looks simple from a spectator's point of view, but apart from what DriftNismo said, can you imagine the kind of air turbulence, and the skill and reactions required to keep teh car going straight, in the middle of those 40 cars at 180+mph?

Also, unlike in F1 and other circuit racing, there literally isn't any room for mistakes. Get sideways on a circuit and if you're lucky, you'll just spin with no damage done to the car. Get sideways on a NASCAR track, and you could quite possibly end up with a 20+ car pileup (which of course we all like to see )

You're impossible, Mark

12. gingervette is offline Corvette = Win

They always turn left...not very interesting to me. It's just that here in the states, it's the only racing people ever talk about so it gets real boring. F1 appeals to me much more because it requires skill, something I can't say for Nascar.
    U mad bro?

13. Captain_ClutchKick is offline Slidey slidey!

F1 is also about engineering (once again, at last) and kudos to Ross Brawn for designing the superior machine.

If F1 were more about this, like in the '70s and '80s, I'd watch it. Same with NASCAR, the cars are all the same and none of them are relevant to the production cars.
    Cars:
    Freedom, style, sex, power, motion, colour, everything.

14. BeSweeet is offline Car Aficianado

Old-ass thread, yes, but I can go on and on about how much I like NASCAR compared to other forms of auto racing. I like pretty much anything with wheels (F1, IndyCar, the Rolex sports car stuff, NHRA, etc), but NASCAR is at the top of my list. Seeing tens of thousands of people in those grandstands is nice. Have any of you ever been to a race? I went to my first one in April to the Phoenix night races. Best experience of my life, EVER. Yeah, all they do is turn left, but it's about passing cars and avoiding wrecks, which some tracks have a lot of and some tracks have very few.

You either love it or you hate it. I love it, as I do most other forms of racing. F1 would probably be at the bottom of my list. IndyCar would be second.
    My Desktop Build
    Core i7-2600K @ 4GHz, ASUS GTX 1060, 16GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, MSI Z68A-GD80 mobo, Windows 10 Pro x64
    Twitter | Website

15. Camel is offline Legendary Classic

Don't have a go at people who bump threads with relevant posts.

If you don't think that they should of bumped the thread, report it but don't post and start a flame war as one of you said.

16. Atomic Dragon is offline Video Game Historian

Default A reply...

NASCAR is harder than it looks. Stock cars are a handful to drive. Loads of torque coming out of the rear Wheels. You have to be very careful accelerating out of the corners (on the shorter tracks with less banking anyway). Real easy to spin out, and driving as close as they do can turn even the smallest mistake into disaster.
    I like the technical aspect of F1 and sports car racing, and it I find them more entertaining to watch on TV, but I find NASCAR tracks to be more spectator friendly when watching from the stands.
    NASCAR is not my favorite style of racing, bit it does take some skill to pull off even if it doesn't look that way.
    I am beginning to develop a taste for Rallycross for some reason. Just have to add it to an already large list of racing disciplines I already enjoy.
    Last edited by Atomic Dragon; 25/01/11 at 01:35 AM.

17. BeSweeet is offline Car Aficianado

Especially when you're at the Daytona 500. Best experience of a lifetime I would imagine.

Anyone watching the Rolex 24 this weekend?
    My Desktop Build
    Core i7-2600K @ 4GHz, ASUS GTX 1060, 16GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, MSI Z68A-GD80 mobo, Windows 10 Pro x64
    Twitter | Website

18. T0M722 is offline "POWWEERRRR!!"

Just out of interest, how much is it to go to a regular NASCAR event?

Flickr

19. BeSweeet is offline Car Aficianado

When I went to the NASCAR race last April in Phoenix... I actually don't remember. I think the Nationwide race was $26 per ticket and the cup race was maybe $45?
    My Desktop Build
    Twitter | Website

20. T0M722 is offline "POWWEERRRR!!"

I wouldn't have to convert that into AUD because the Australian dollar is doing too well at the moment

Flickr